What are your thoughts on Glass Meters?

vquestfilms.com

Glass Meters -Which ones are you using, if any?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Are you currrently using glass meters for flat glass sales and inspection?

• No, I do not think they are necessary for flat glass sales
    • Yes, we use meters
    • No, but I would like to invest in these tools some day
  2. 2. If you are using glass meters, which ones?

• BTU Meter
    • BTU/Solar Transmittance Meter
    • Glass Thickness Meter
    • Beamsplitter (Energy/VLT/UV Tranmission) Combo Meter
    • Low E Coatings Detector
    • Laser Thermometer
    • UV Meter
  3. 3. How likely are you to purchase glass inspection meters?

• Likely
    • Not likely
    • Maybe

We use a device to meassure the glass thickness, it also can meassure the space between 2 glasses.

Just wondering what a laser thermometer is? Maybe you mean an IR thermometer with laser, in which case the laser acts as a pointer or guide...

met-0718.jpg

It is a device that measures surface temperature with a laser and yes, the laser acts as a guide. Some might refer to it as an "IR" thermometer but a device that measures IR would be more of an energy measurement rather than a temperature measurement.

In what ways do you use your IR thermometer?

I pretty sure the one you posted is very similar to this one: IR thermometer

You can see, all those thermometers have a ratio diagram on them, which shows the surface area they need in relation to the distance in order to get a correct reading. If they would use the laser to measure they would not need this since a laser is one tiny spot, not an area. In any case, I have a setup with 2 IR lamps and a flat piece of paper at some distance, this paper acts as surface to get my IR reading. When sliding the film between the paper and the lamp, I get a difference in reading, this difference represents the effectiveness of the film.

Yeah, these are all similar instruments. Ours is a little lower in price and it has a 12:1 distance to spot ratio with maximum measured temperature reading as well as the current temp.

:beer Your demo is a good one, especially for indoor use when there is no windows with natural light. If you do have a widow with sunlight coming through you may want to consider taking advantage of that in your demonstration because it will give you a more accurate picture of what the film can do. The reason is that IR lamps do not simulate the visible energy spectrum so you cannot create similar conditions as with a window and natural light. But you can run your demo on a cloudy day and at night so there are advantages to what you are doing.

Try using carpet. That stuff is like a sponge, it soaks up energy and gets warm quick. A good demo with 50/50 film and non-filmed glass, point the IR thermometer at the carpet getting sun vs the part that is not and look at the difference! :thumb

Archived