What are your thoughts on Glass Meters?

Glass Meters -Which ones are you using, if any?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Are you currrently using glass meters for flat glass sales and inspection?

• No, I do not think they are necessary for flat glass sales
    • Yes, we use meters
    • No, but I would like to invest in these tools some day
  2. 2. If you are using glass meters, which ones?

• BTU Meter
    • BTU/Solar Transmittance Meter
    • Glass Thickness Meter
    • Beamsplitter (Energy/VLT/UV Tranmission) Combo Meter
    • Low E Coatings Detector
    • Laser Thermometer
    • UV Meter
  3. 3. How likely are you to purchase glass inspection meters?

• Likely
    • Not likely
    • Maybe

Those of you who are involved in flat glass I am curious to see what your thoughts are on glass inspection meters. We are developing some new tools for the flat glass market and this information helps us determine how to invest our resources. Your responses are much appreciated :beer

We use a device to meassure the glass thickness, it also can meassure the space between 2 glasses.

Just wondering what a laser thermometer is? Maybe you mean an IR thermometer with laser, in which case the laser acts as a pointer or guide...

met-0718.jpg

It is a device that measures surface temperature with a laser and yes, the laser acts as a guide. Some might refer to it as an "IR" thermometer but a device that measures IR would be more of an energy measurement rather than a temperature measurement.

In what ways do you use your IR thermometer?

I pretty sure the one you posted is very similar to this one: IR thermometer

You can see, all those thermometers have a ratio diagram on them, which shows the surface area they need in relation to the distance in order to get a correct reading. If they would use the laser to measure they would not need this since a laser is one tiny spot, not an area. In any case, I have a setup with 2 IR lamps and a flat piece of paper at some distance, this paper acts as surface to get my IR reading. When sliding the film between the paper and the lamp, I get a difference in reading, this difference represents the effectiveness of the film.

Yeah, these are all similar instruments. Ours is a little lower in price and it has a 12:1 distance to spot ratio with maximum measured temperature reading as well as the current temp.

:beer Your demo is a good one, especially for indoor use when there is no windows with natural light. If you do have a widow with sunlight coming through you may want to consider taking advantage of that in your demonstration because it will give you a more accurate picture of what the film can do. The reason is that IR lamps do not simulate the visible energy spectrum so you cannot create similar conditions as with a window and natural light. But you can run your demo on a cloudy day and at night so there are advantages to what you are doing.

Try using carpet. That stuff is like a sponge, it soaks up energy and gets warm quick. A good demo with 50/50 film and non-filmed glass, point the IR thermometer at the carpet getting sun vs the part that is not and look at the difference! :thumb

Archived