How to find an experienced tinter? - I'm stuck!

Guest JOELEE

I'm in Northern California, SF bay area more specifically. I added window tinting to an existing auto sales business a few months ago when I found a guy that had experience to work with. I ordered film, paid for advertising, displays, etc. and we did better than I had expected. About two weeks ago, my tinter runs into some legal issues and is unable to work for the time being. I do not know for sure if he is coming back and I am getting calls from customers for business almost every day. I took on a few customer cars by taking them down to another shop and having them tint it for less than I'm charging my customer and making a small profit. I have been posting on craigslist (where I found the first guy) looking for a replacement tinter with no success. People have contacted me saying they have some experience tinting, but are not professionals at it. Is it worth hiring someone and paying for their training or should I just get out of the window tinting business all together?

Is there a better place to look for tinters? Are there recruiters/scouts for this type of job position?

Any advice?

Thanks.

You might be better setting up a deal with another tint shop and making a bit off of each. I am sure there would be some mobile tinter that covers your area too that would be able to come knock out what you need and you make some money off of it that way....

Unless you are doing several vehicles a day, everyday, then the two above would be the best option. Otherwise you will be paying a chunk to someone to stand around....

I agree with Details. Unless you can keep a tinter busy all week long to make it worthwhile for both of you, than I think you are probably better off working out a deal with someone who is established in the area.

Thanks for all the replies. I do get a consistent amount of calls for tinting each day, but I don't know what is considered a lot and what's not. Most people that call say that they are directed to us from google. I pay for google adwords pay per click with a monthly budget of $400 which puts me on the top ad space for most tint searches in my area.

I do kind of have an arrangement with another tint shop in the area for bringing cars over there and I have done it a few times while my tinter is absent. Problem is, we advertise as a tint shop and when people come in for tinting and sit there and wait, wouldn't they think it's weird that we want to drive their car to another shop in town? I have only done it for cars that are dropped off for pick up later.

Finding a mobile tinter to come do some of the work sounds like a good idea. I have to look into who's in the area and make a deal.

vquest/rob: thanks for the info about sydney. I'll definitely get in touch with him and see if he could help out in any way.

I'm in Northern California, SF bay area more specifically. I added window tinting to an existing auto sales business a few months ago when I found a guy that had experience to work with. I ordered film, paid for advertising, displays, etc. and we did better than I had expected. About two weeks ago, my tinter runs into some legal issues and is unable to work for the time being. I do not know for sure if he is coming back and I am getting calls from customers for business almost every day. I took on a few customer cars by taking them down to another shop and having them tint it for less than I'm charging my customer and making a small profit. I have been posting on craigslist (where I found the first guy) looking for a replacement tinter with no success. People have contacted me saying they have some experience tinting, but are not professionals at it. Is it worth hiring someone and paying for their training or should I just get out of the window tinting business all together?

Is there a better place to look for tinters? Are there recruiters/scouts for this type of job position?

Any advice?

Thanks.

Where in the Bay Area are you located?

I'm in the same boat, been looking for a tinter for our business in the Phoenix Area over the last few months. I'm shocked at how few tinters there are looking for work, we've been running ads on craigslist and on the forum here for a few months.  I guess they are all self employed which makes sense. I like the idea of partnering with a mobile shop, I'll have to look into that. 

Archived