torch shrinking

hi, just seeing what torches you guys have had the best results with, self starter for one. but what do you prefer for tips, anything specific? model/ brand?

i also just saw a video of a guy shrinking a BG with a large torch i personally use for shrinking plastic wrap on pallets. cant find the video now for referance.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^ with metal working the rule is that the hottest part of an oxy acetylene flame is close to the tourch tip. And propanes hottest point is actually about 1-2" away from the tip. With that into consideration. Id think you can keep a safer distance with propane, and to get that same heat you may need to be closer with the oxy acetaline.

Just a theory.

^ with metal working the rule is that the hottest part of an oxy acetylene flame is close to the tourch tip. And propanes hottest point is actually about 1-2" away from the tip. With that into consideration. Id think you can keep a safer distance with propane, and to get that same heat you may need to be closer with the oxy acetaline.

Just a theory.

Go ahead and try it. I'll wait for a video :drevil

Just a theory.

Go ahead and try it. I'll wait for a video :twocents

Bob, you did pretty good work with the TS4000 when you were here in class. I can't remember if you used it when you aced the VW rear glass but I think you did that window with both the heat gun and torch. I get my TS4000's at Home Depo :facepalm2

Just a theory.

Go ahead and try it. I'll wait for a video :lol

Bob, you did pretty good work with the TS4000 when you were here in class. I can't remember if you used it when you aced the VW rear glass but I think you did that window with both the heat gun and torch. I get my TS4000's at Home Depo :lol

I used a heat gun for sure. I lacked the testicular fortitude to take that on with a flame. I probably still do...

I'm dying to get a second heat gun to do the Ryker method now! Looks like a huge time-saver to me, and less risk than a torch.

^ i thought you where pushing me based on your experience. Now to find im your guinie pig. :lol haha

I figure I test the heat guns temp by blowing it onto my arm and the torch the same way. Less room for error with the torch though, and the whole heat" gradient" is more compact. So i know itll be quick to change from a comfortable heating temp to a....oh %&$#, temp.

Archived