torch shrinking

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ok...maybe it's just me, but most back glass's can be shrunk in under 5 minutes with a good heat gun. Even if you cut it down to a minute....if you are doing say 5 cars a day, that still only saves you 20 minutes in a full day. Then you have the added worry about burning trim or something. IMO it's not worth the risk....but that is just my opinion.

Also, what is going to happen when, 6 or 7 years down the road, you end up having a warranty issue. You think the manny won't use the fact that you used a torch as an excuse to get out of a claim? :chin

:yeah to each there  own :thumb

ok...maybe it's just me, but most back glass's can be shrunk in under 5 minutes with a good heat gun. Even if you cut it down to a minute....if you are doing say 5 cars a day, that still only saves you 20 minutes in a full day. Then you have the added worry about burning trim or something. IMO it's not worth the risk....but that is just my opinion.

Also, what is going to happen when, 6 or 7 years down the road, you end up having a warranty issue. You think the manny won't use the fact that you used a torch as an excuse to get out of a claim? :chin

:yeah to each there  own :thumb

:ditto  :yeah  :broken

Not trying to down anyone who does shrink with a torch,, but all this talk about speed and how fast you can shrink a backglass is my issue.  Shrinking too fast and not letting the heat and film do their thing properly is what causes all the other issues that you end up fighting with. (peanuts, fingers, etc.)

I can almost see the problem spots and where the peanuts will be after watching a couple of those torch videos.  Sure it's great and neat and cool that it works and does it that fast, but I still think it's the wrong way to be doing it.  Doing it right the first time doesn't take that long and even if it does, if you do it right the first time, the install will go so much better.  

I did this the other day when all this torch talk came up.  The first pic is time stamped 11:36am and the second is stamped 12:01pm.  That time frame includes me stopping to ring up a customer, which took at least 5 minutes.   So, I would say including cleaning and installing, this entire process for the backglass took maybe 30min.  Slow and steady heat with a heatgun and hardcard and it really doesn't take that long.  And I don't have to go back and check for fingers or peanuts because there aren't usually any issues at all.  Which means no time lost after installing.  Seems to be a lot of fighting issues after installing the film with the torch shrinking.  

Again, everyone has their own way, and I'm not downing the torch guys,,, I just don't think it's the proper way to do it. Fast or otherwise, if you are fighting after install, even though you did the first part fast,,,, what's the point, other than it's "neat"  

11:36am post-28358-0-41757100-1447250557_thumb.j

12:01pm post-28358-0-13050700-1447250609_thumb.j

Great post Bham. I can shrink pretty good with the Benzomatic TS but just did it for a change from the heat gun. Kinda breaking the boredom .... But...... I look at Smartie as prolly the smartest regular daily poster on the board. If he says the gases harm the film and even me not being able to see how it does..... I believe him :twocents

My torch shrinking is over except for messing around in the school or showing off! I still love the torch for a fast warming up the edges of my windows here in rainy Oregon.

Cheers all

After reading this topic multiple times, I can't see why using a torch could affect the film because of gases put off by the flame. I would like to think that most of us that know what we are doing knows to shrink with the release liner facing out right? Like mentioned, shrinking the film too quick could lead to peanuts and possible other on certain back windows.

Archived