Prestige Clear Guard PPF

Guest thecritic

Guest thecritic

Also, what are your thoughts on the quality of the installation?

The hood was custom, with wrapped edges, and was cut from a 24" roll?

The bumper was pre-cut, from the XPEL pattern.

The mirrors were custom.

The fenders were with the XPEL pattern.

The fenders go to about 1/16 to 1/32" of the edge, consistently. On the bumper, the film fits perfectly around the round Toyota logo and is consistently 1/16" on that circular edge; however, the rest of the edges vary between 1/6 to 1/8" on the edges near the hood and the tires. With that said, there are no stretch marks anywhere on the bumper. Does this sound like an acceptable (or good) pre-cut bumper installation?

Their website is not working for me, perhaps their server is down?

Where is Prestige based out of?

I have not had any success with their website either, for months. Certainly doesn't inspire confidence, does it, lol.

Not entirely sure where they are from, but someone on another forum said the film was made in Japan?

Although the installing dealer is without a doubt well established and can handle this type of work I'm still a little perplexed. With the amount of research you have put into this entire process and it looks to be a lot, you are okay with selecting a product with no manufacturer warranty card from a company that cannot be found on the web, their website is down for months and no physical location listed. I have a sneaking suspicion where the film might come from, I'm just marveling in the irony that the install gets picked apart with a fine tooth comb but the product from an unusual source gets a free pass.

Prestige is supposedly made in Japan... at least that is what Premier has told me. I got a sample piece of it and their Satin Guard film. I installed the Prestige film along with Avery Nano and Ventureshield Ultra on a black hood and they all look pretty much identical. I have talked to Sarah but she doesnt really give out much info. Premier wont say much either... and sure wont offer anything with a detailed warranty card. I would think for a company to be large enough to manufacture film that they would have a website. Something doesnt seem right to me so I am not going to waste my time with their film. I havent tried the new Xpel film but at this point there is no reason for me to get away from Nano and VS Ultra for my installs. And I am sure not going to do that by going to a film that seems to be backed by a half ass company.

Doesn't Premier use Xpel?

No, Prestige film exclusively.

Guest thecritic
Prestige is supposedly made in Japan... at least that is what Premier has told me. I got a sample piece of it and their Satin Guard film. I installed the Prestige film along with Avery Nano and Ventureshield Ultra on a black hood and they all look pretty much identical.

I can't say that was my experience at all. The Ventureshield Ultra appeared to far less clear than the Prestige Clear Guard. However, I did compound and polish the paint extensively with Meguiars M105/M205 prior to this installation, so that may explain the difference? But still, Prestige looks much better than Ventureshield Ultra from my experience.

Although the installing dealer is without a doubt well established and can handle this type of work I'm still a little perplexed. With the amount of research you have put into this entire process and it looks to be a lot, you are okay with selecting a product with no manufacturer warranty card from a company that cannot be found on the web, their website is down for months and no physical location listed. I have a sneaking suspicion where the film might come from, I'm just marveling in the irony that the install gets picked apart with a fine tooth comb but the product from an unusual source gets a free pass.

Trust me, if I had been able to find a REPUTABLE installer who carried XPEL Ultimate or NanoFusion, I would have gone with them. Unfortunately no such installer exists in my area. Having had a bad ppf install before, the best film is meaningless if a lousy installer is installing it, so I figured that I was better off finding the best installer and hoping that the film holds up. Even with aggressive maintenance habits, I really doubt these films will last more than 5-7 years anyway?

from what I see...the hood and the fender line does not line up together...I would have tried to get it a little closer..picture 2

one of the close up pics show the film not as close as I would have liked...I think it was the second to the last pic.

other then that...it look good from here. :lock

Fully agree. The two edges not lining up completely on the hood and fender are a bit annoying, but not a major issue. I was hoping that the bumper would be about 1/8" from the edge on the seam nearest the hood, but it's closer to 1/6" and not 100% even. However, I think this was the best they could get it without causing stretch marks because the film around the Toyota logo is 100% perfect and is even slightly wrapped.

There are two small imperfections, both 2-3mm each, on the bumper. I presume those are normal and expected? Though for the price I paid for this install, I was hoping for 100% perfection-- but that's probably unrealistic since the bumper was a pre-cut piece.

100% perfection is probably a bit of a lofty expectation with a product like ppf, but it shouldn't dip below 97%. I always recommend that installers show examples of the work in person if possible to give customers a clear expectation, for this reason.

If there is an uneven edge on a precut kit, it is often a sign that it has been trimmed. If you are unhappy with your installation, I would definitely chat with your installer. I know that every car that leaves our shop, we don't want the customer just to be happy, we want them to be thrilled with the installation/product enough that they go out and tell the world about us. I would think any other reputable shop would agree and would probably stand behind their work to make sure that you were happy.

Guest thecritic
100% perfection is probably a bit of a lofty expectation with a product like ppf, but it shouldn't dip below 97%. I always recommend that installers show examples of the work in person if possible to give customers a clear expectation, for this reason.

If there is an uneven edge on a precut kit, it is often a sign that it has been trimmed. If you are unhappy with your installation, I would definitely chat with your installer. I know that every car that leaves our shop, we don't want the customer just to be happy, we want them to be thrilled with the installation/product enough that they go out and tell the world about us. I would think any other reputable shop would agree and would probably stand behind their work to make sure that you were happy.

Now that you, guest and one other installer have mentioned, and after staring at that misalignment for a few weeks, I've decided to e-mail the installer to see how they want to address this issue. I will also mention the uneven line on the bumper; after all, the big rock chip I got before having PPF installed was on the edge of the hood near the bumper, so my concern about protection on this area isn't unfounded. I just hope by doing this, that I am not being too unreasonable.

Guest BeatsBlack

Prestige is supposedly made in Japan... at least that is what Premier has told me. I got a sample piece of it and their Satin Guard film. I installed the Prestige film along with Avery Nano and Ventureshield Ultra on a black hood and they all look pretty much identical. I have talked to Sarah but she doesnt really give out much info. Premier wont say much either... and sure wont offer anything with a detailed warranty card. I would think for a company to be large enough to manufacture film that they would have a website. Something doesnt seem right to me so I am not going to waste my time with their film. I havent tried the new Xpel film but at this point there is no reason for me to get away from Nano and VS Ultra for my installs. And I am sure not going to do that by going to a film that seems to be backed by a half ass company.

Doesn't Premier use Xpel?

No, Prestige film exclusively.

i saw the prestige film in person and it looked really clear..... but when doing research..... everything you read about is coming from premier.... i heard the product was manufactured in japan as well.... but if you google prestige films japan.... all you get is their facebook

Archived