Upgrading Warranties

Self-backing or self-funding extended warranties or no-fault warranties is a good way to increase capital.

Especially on auto, which doesn't use alot of film anyway, and, if you use a good film , will

only typically have the occasional seat belt nick to redo under said no-fault warranty. :wrong

Typically how much extra do you charge for such add ons

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest scottydosnntkno
Self-backing or self-funding extended warranties or no-fault warranties is a good way to increase capital.

Especially on auto, which doesn't use alot of film anyway, and, if you use a good film , will

only typically have the occasional seat belt nick to redo under said no-fault warranty. :lol2

Typically how much extra do you charge for such add ons

I charge $49 for a no fault warranty. I've had maybe 5 people come back ever and use it

its just like buying extended warranties or similar on your appliances or cell phone or anything else

Its a business, I personally like the idea of offering this service. At what price point, I'm not sure.

This is an optional warranty, would I buy it... never I think those are a complete waste of money but some consumers love them and are pleased to have that offered with the product/service they are buying.

We are all wired differently, like with the Formula One thread where Joe Dirt was mentioned. Its not what we want, its what the customer wants. :lol2

Wow I have never heard of extended warranties for window film!

I would never charge extra for a warranty :beer If it is reasonably expected to last 5 years, I back it up with a 5 year warranty. If MFG says lifetime, I say lifetime.

Do these 'extended warranties' cover the same things that the MFGs do (color change, adhesive failure, etc..) or stuff like scratches and broken windows? :dunno

Wow I have never heard of extended warranties for window film!

I would never charge extra for a warranty :beer If it is reasonably expected to last 5 years, I back it up with a 5 year warranty. If MFG says lifetime, I say lifetime.

Do these 'extended warranties' cover the same things that the MFGs do (color change, adhesive failure, etc..) or stuff like scratches and broken windows? :dunno

I think everyone does it slightly differently. I'm a fan of the dealer, not the MFG/Supplier creating their own "No fault warranty". Something that covers scratches, tint tickets etc... Its a numbers game and if you are offering a premium film that is already backed by your supplier (lifetime CS) for example as thats the lowest I'd feel safe offering then you are covered from a warranty standpoint already if the film fails. The extended "Premium No Fault" warranty can be something you sell as insurance to the end user. Like I said, some people love extended warranties and will value this service you offer.

It could help you stand out from the competition and increase your margins dramatically. So long as it is an optional warranty and you aren't doing a hard sell on your clients I see this as good business.

Warranties in any industry are gimmicks. Extended warranties especially. However, when I buy tires, I AWAYS purchase the road hazzard warranty, but for reasons other than buying an extended warranty on a TV, vehicle, or computer. Tires (good tires) are expensive, and when Hose-A and Hose-B leave phucking nails and contruction equipment hanging out of the back of their truck, and I run that junk over when it falls out, I want to know I can get it taken care of...and have many times. On that note, dont cheap out on tires, spend the extra money for Michelins if you own a truck. They are lick a sore d!ck, you cant beat it.

I can see the no fault warranty on film turning into a huge disaster, especially on SUV's when someone piles a bunch of beach chairs in the back and slams the gate down effing the film up.

Warranties in any industry are gimmicks. Extended warranties especially. However, when I buy tires, I AWAYS purchase the road hazzard warranty, but for reasons other than buying an extended warranty on a TV, vehicle, or computer. Tires (good tires) are expensive, and when Hose-A and Hose-B leave phucking nails and contruction equipment hanging out of the back of their truck, and I run that junk over when it falls out, I want to know I can get it taken care of...and have many times. On that note, dont cheap out on tires, spend the extra money for Michelins if you own a truck. They are lick a sore d!ck, you cant beat it.

I can see the no fault warranty on film turning into a huge disaster, especially on SUV's when someone piles a bunch of beach chairs in the back and slams the gate down effing the film up.

I got my introduction to no fault warranties with tires. Even in that industry you make a fortune offering these. The ironic part, almost every company (Discount, Wal-Mart etc.) offer that road hazard in the price already although it is a pro rated version based on how much tread is left on the tire. So you still get the free rotations, flat repairs, balancing and your tire replaced if damaged but whatever percentage you have consumed on the tire you must pay for. You are paying an extra $10 or more per tire for a non pro rated warranty should a tire burst. Its a numbers game that is greatly in their favor. Still, it offers you piece of mind and there is value to that.

I left a job with a tire dealer over the fact they were forcing employees to include the optional road hazard warranty into the sale for walk in clients. Ironically I sold at better margins and greater volume but refused to include an optional item into the sale.

To each his own, were it my business would I offer this service? Yes. I would put a lot more effort into the entire plan than just picking a number and marketing it but I have witnessed this method work in numerous industries and some consumers want that warm fuzzy feeling knowing they are covered no matter what.

Absolutely, they are making a fortune off of it. I buy tires from Discount Tires, always Michelins b/c I can get 80k miles out of them. They are about $1000-$1200 for four with road hazzard. I believe the warranty is somewhere around $15-$30 per tire extra...something like that. So, someone like me buys that warranty and they may only see me one to three times during the life of the tires and out of those 3 visits, the do a complete replacement of one, and patch 2. Plus I paid $50 (I think it was the last time) for the new tire as opposed to $189. They have made money from me, and the thousands of others who have done the same.

With me offering a similar warranty, I could possibly make a little extra money, but on a much smaller scale than the tire shop for obvious reasons.

You're right, we are wired differently. If I am not using something everyday, that is absolutely critical that it works everytime (tires), Im not buying the warranty. Cars are gonna last 3-5 years with very little issues. TV's last 5 years with no issues. Computers are cheap, and Im using one thats 3 years old and have no issues. Best Buy may offer me a 2 year replacement for $79 or whatever (I think its based off the purchase price), but I feel confident it will last longer with no issues.

Its just my opinion that warranties are gimmicks, but people do love em, and rarely use them, which makes the other guy lotsa money.

Archived