2011 tint off

A lot of the comments are near identical to what I hear after our tint off each year, ironically its always from the folks who didn't compete.

There is no perfect competition, its always setup to be as fair as possible and like Troy mentioned you get out there with a crowd around and its tough to keep a steady hand. Props to those who competed and placed, its great to see folks taking the time out of their busy schedule and pay to be a part of this event and competition. Hopefully I'll be in attendance for the next one.

Just out of curiosity did anyone visit the SolarGard booth and what were your thoughts?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest shadeking

Perhaps in the future they should have 3 levels of competition, beginner, intermediate, and advanced. Different entry fees and awards. This would certainly bring in more contestants "and" attendees.

Congrats to the winners!

A lot of the comments are near identical to what I hear after our tint off each year, ironically its always from the folks who didn't compete.

There is no perfect competition, its always setup to be as fair as possible and like Troy mentioned you get out there with a crowd around and its tough to keep a steady hand. Props to those who competed and placed, its great to see folks taking the time out of their busy schedule and pay to be a part of this event and competition. Hopefully I'll be in attendance for the next one.

Just out of curiosity did anyone visit the SolarGard booth and what were your thoughts?

How hard could it be? Thats what i thought. Ill post the rules and scoring and then people should try it out. Remember, we arent talking about doing a car for a customer who will never notice a couple dust spots or move the glass side to side to check the edge. Try and do the absolute perfect window in 20 min.

How hard could it be? Thats what i thought. Ill post the rules and scoring and then people should try it out. Remember, we arent talking about doing a car for a customer who will never notice a couple dust spots or move the glass side to side to check the edge. Try and do the absolute perfect window in 20 min.

I agree TintJunkie, also usually by the time the customer picks up their car there is no need to be worried about excessive water on the door panel or on the car because its already dry.

I think the judges were tough no doubt but I also think they were fair. From what I understand nobody got a perfect score. Even the winner had multiple specs on the back window. That's not to say it wasn't a great tint job but when you get down to the nitty gritty the judges did point out a few small flaws.

ok I totally understand the rules now.

I do have one concern though. It stats that the finalist tinting the BG are supose to cut around the third brake light if it has one. Now call me crazy, but aren't there multiple tools to aid installers to be able to clean tint behind a 3rd brake light. Why would the IWFA want you not to tint behind the brake light I'm confused on that rule. :lol2

ok I totally understand the rules now.

I do have one concern though. It stats that the finalist tinting the BG are supose to cut around the third brake light if it has one. Now call me crazy, but aren't there multiple tools to aid installers to be able to clean tint behind a 3rd brake light. Why would the IWFA want you not to tint behind the brake light I'm confused on that rule. :lol2

Bc TN law states you cant cover the third brake light. Thats why we had to cut it out.

In all honesty the IWFA should really rethink the contest to include all area's of installing window film. To truly have a worlds best window tinter.

I think each contestant should have to tint 3 windows to make it to finals.

One being a normal rollup window on a car or truck.

Second being an average flat glass window of a managable size for 1 person.

and third a window to be tinted in 8 mil security film or greater.

The finallist would be chosen from the contestants who had the best score combined from each of their 3 windows, and then move onto the finals.

From there each finalist should have to complete 2 more windows.

First the BG of a car with a third brake light and be able to tint behind the third brake light should the installer chose to.

Second would be to tint an odd shaped flat glass window such as an archway or triangluar shaped window.

Again combine score from both window. The installer with the best score win. This giving you the best all around window tinter. :lol2

Archived