HELP Film removal from Tempered Glass

Guest Tintlover

Guest Tintlover

Hi All

I have spent the last 2 hours reading all the posts I can find and it seems to me that a quality steamer slowly but surely (as with cars) can be effective in removing the film and adhesive as one to avoid having to scrape the windows as this will scratch the glass so is not an option.

I am asking for opinions and advise on the best way to remove solar film from residential safety glass.

As the stainless steel blade will scratch the glass I would think that perhaps the same method as used with some auto being steam and peel trying to take adhesive layer with the top layer would help but I am just not sure if the adhesive would react the same as auto?

Yes we could buff off the glue with a festool and non scratch scourer (abrasive paste) but these windows are HUGE so I would really appreciate any advise (not interested in using ammonia based solution)

Tanz

From the Home of the RWC 2011 !!!!!! my Auto Tint shop is on the fan trail to Eden Park (Jealous much?) :beer

Guest Tintlover
Hi All

I have spent the last 2 hours reading all the posts I can find and it seems to me that a quality steamer slowly but surely (as with cars) can be effective in removing the film and adhesive as one to avoid having to scrape the windows as this will scratch the glass so is not an option.

I am asking for opinions and advise on the best way to remove solar film from residential safety glass.

As the stainless steel blade will scratch the glass I would think that perhaps the same method as used with some auto being steam and peel trying to take adhesive layer with the top layer would help but I am just not sure if the adhesive would react the same as auto?

Yes we could buff off the glue with a festool and non scratch scourer (abrasive paste) but these windows are HUGE so I would really appreciate any advise (not interested in using ammonia based solution)

Tanz

From the Home of the RWC 2011 !!!!!! my Auto Tint shop is on the fan trail to Eden Park (Jealous much?) :boogie

No one got anything to say????

Guest Tintlover
Residential safety glass? You mean tempered glass?

It's probably " fabrication debris" or rough surfaced tempered glass that scratches easily

Nothing you can do but scrape and the glass will scratch

Yes it is "Tempered" glass, In NZ we also call it safety glass, it is not rough, however will scratch if we use scapers on it so I am looking for the solution to remove it without having to use scrapers. at this point as the windows are so big 2480x1980 and there are 10 of them I may just walk away from it.

just let them know it will scratch, tempered glass sometimes scratches due to debris that landed on surface while in the tempering process. Typically this happens when they sand down the edges and then put in the cooker. The sanded debris falls on the surface and then gets baked onto the glass. When you scrape the glass it sounds like you are wet sanding the glass, but you are knocking off the debris and then dragging it across the glass which cause's the glass to scratch.

Archived