Security Film

Guest sunray

When using caulk (Dow995) on a window for the 2 step installation... what side is best for giving it a gasket look? Top and Bottom? or the sides? We usually tape the sides first then come back the next day and tap the top and bottom... Is this correct or does someone have a better method?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have no idea what a 2 step installation is, but when applying DOW you need to measure out the amount of "bite" on the frame and window and then tape that distance away. You will have tape on the frame and glass. If youve done it right, and used blue tape, it should look like a mexican restuarant.

After tooling the DOW the tape is pulled immediately to give a nice straight border, that looks nothing like a "gasket" to me. No offense, but it sounds like you are doing it wrong.

I have no idea what a 2 step installation is, but when applying DOW you need to measure out the amount of "bite" on the frame and window and then tape that distance away. You will have tape on the frame and glass. If youve done it right, and used blue tape, it should look like a mexican restuarant.

After tooling the DOW the tape is pulled immediately to give a nice straight border, that looks nothing like a "gasket" to me. No offense, but it sounds like you are doing it wrong.

Thanks... What I was referring to was with a two step process was taping, caulking and pulling the two sides of the tape on one day and then coming back the next day and taping the other two sides. Just because the dow 995 dry so quickly. The gasket " look"that I was referring to is what it should look like when finished.

I use the 3M white low tack adhesive paper tape when doing a wet glaze application, it will not curl as bad as the blue tape when removing it, less mess.

Plus you can use it on the film sooner after the film is installed, so if you do just a few windows you do not have to come back the next day to do the wet glaze application, like you would have to using the blue tape, in most cases so the tape would not lift the films edge when removing it.

In my opinion, coming back the next day to do the second half of glazing is not really securing it properly. You have a start and finish point which will be the weakest point of the installation.

Don't understand why you cannot do it in one sweep.

I agree in theory that would make the spot of overlap the weak link. Has it ever been tested to see if it is in fact a issue? I have never done it in a two step process but I have thought about it, it has got to be easier and cleaner overall.

In my opinion, coming back the next day to do the second half of glazing is not really securing it properly. You have a start and finish point which will be the weakest point of the installation.

Don't understand why you cannot do it in one sweep.

If the stop and start point is in a corner using a wet glaze, how would that be different then say a attachment system, like IPP or all the others available.........?

From what he said, he thinks that the 995 sets up to fast to do all four sides the same day.

Archived