dealing with employee issues

Guest NEVRL8

I'm tired of training tinters and about when they get good they get an attitude.We all know its been a long slow winter.I keep them on with full pay and extra's but they don't want to help do extra's for the good of the company.I need help setting up for the home show and tearing down in eve's but they don't think they should have to work after 5 even if they get some other time off.I'm ready to fire a good tinter because we have been arguing about this for 2 months now and I'm at the end of my rope.They also think they shouldn't do other work around the shop if it doesn't have to do with tinting.(its not in the job description)My response is "your job discription is anything I ask you to do"Do other shops have these issues and how do you deal with it.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest SQUEEGEE

I've never owned a tint shop but I have managed many people before and it sounds to me that something wasn't handled right in the beginning.

The tone and job description need to be established from day one. Don't waiver or bad attitudes and poor work ethic will creep up on you.

My response is "your job discription is anything I ask you to do"

Did you explain this to him when you hired this person?

Send 'em packin' if you can. Hire a new trainee and have him shadow your current tinter. If your current tinter asked WTF is that about tell him he's been hired to help around the shop and learn how to tint. Once the new guy learns to tint then you can tell Mr. attitude that he's been replaced.

The job is spelled out before I hire them and they sign a contract and a noncompete and yes I can replace him but I seem to have then a new issue whether they have a hangover and party all night and day or losing there liscense,its always something.I pay salary plus commision and a guarantee highr than a base salary.I can't train someone else because it's so slow theres nothing to train on.I have a back up man thats been tinting but needs fine tuned.Any recommendations for training advanced and touch on some basics.I don't know the reputation of some on this site.When I had this guy trained I said that he had to know how to do a 2 piece back window and they didn't show him so I had to then do more training here.If I didn't know how to tint we would have been in a jam.So I won't use that guy again even though he is very good.He spent to much time on his problems and not working with my guy.

Archived