dealing with employee issues

Guest NEVRL8

Guest a1wintinter

Doing things around the shop if their on salary should be expected from day one, but the home show stuff if its before or after regular work hours then thats different. 8-5 reg. pay whatever I say, After hours is family time and that cost more money.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Tintin' Magician

I've done 6 home shows in the last few months, and I've been paid for all of them. Not once however have I had to ask for it. That being said though, I stayed for the entire show; setup, the working of the show and the break-down. I happen to understand the importance of the show though and I know that these are the people that are paying me when there is work and when there is not! I just had to let a guy go because he wasn't reliable enough to come to work. Never had a complaint about his work, just his work ethic. I made a compromise though and just started giving him a lil' bit of work each week instead of having him booked for weeks. Working out pretty well, and I can only hope it puts a lil' bit of hunger back in 'em! Good luck! :blah

Guest Key West
The job is spelled out before I hire them and they sign a contract and a noncompete and yes I can replace him but I seem to have then a new issue whether they have a hangover and party all night and day or losing there liscense,its always something.I pay salary plus commision and a guarantee highr than a base salary.I can't train someone else because it's so slow theres nothing to train on.I have a back up man thats been tinting but needs fine tuned.Any recommendations for training advanced and touch on some basics.I don't know the reputation of some on this site.When I had this guy trained I said that he had to know how to do a 2 piece back window and they didn't show him so I had to then do more training here.If I didn't know how to tint we would have been in a jam.So I won't use that guy again even though he is very good.He spent to much time on his problems and not working with my guy.

It is for this reason that I closed my multiple locations and only take on work that I alone can handle. I got REAL tired of scheduling work for the crew, only to have the crew no show. I tried to train a few, but inventory went missing, cash jobs went into other pockets, not the register, and finally, they figured that the grass was greener on thier own. :lol2

It REALLY sucks when you see the amount of money going away because you don't have the help to get it, but considering the losses I have incurred over the years, :DD , F' em all.

IMHO, there is a reason a tinter is unemployed/looking for greener pastures. Someone let them go for either unreliability, or substance abuse interfering with reliability, or theft.

MOST itinerent tinters (I call them "floaters") are substance addicted, and looking to make quick money to feed the habit. Don't get me wrong.... I LOVE my busch, but it doesn't interfere with work. Work=Money=ability to buy Busch/launch rockets/have house etc.

Any tinter worth a damn is already employed, and taken well care of by his/her employer. Any employer who has a good/reliable tinter is a fool not to take care of them. I don't mean subsidize, but pay them well.

All you have to do is look at the employment forum here and see the same names over and over looking for work.

These addicted "floaters"/tinters are whats ruining our business. They will tint a car for next to nothing. And what really chaps my azz is that customers will go to them just to save a few bucks :DD And it's the "Hack" shops that employ them. I have seen some REALLY good tinters that are in this category, but would not take them on, because of the accompanying baggage. :beer

Sorry for the rant :DD

Don't know how you recruit employees, but if you check the employment pages,

you will see ads for say a receptionist, with a description of the job duties which

outlines all the duties they are responsible for.

Before anyone ever puts in an application, they know it will NOT be just answering

phones.

I am a 1 person operation, but if I was to run an ad for a tinter at a retail location,

it would read something like this (I'm doing this on the fly so if I miss something, sorry)

AUTO TINTER WANTED

DUties will consist of, but not limited to:

Tinting customers cars.

Greeting customers.

Answering phones

General shop cleanup

Other duties which will entail working as directed.

This should eliminate the "why should I do that, I was hired to tint"

Now, just being me, anyone can come in and claim anything, I would make it clear before

they come in that I am going to test them .

I will expect the Applicant to strip and retint my back window, along with 1 side window.

Only way to find what I am getting before hiring.

They will also have a 30 working day Probationary time.

On 2/12/2004 at 7:05 PM, SQUEEGEE said:

I've never owned a tint shop but I have managed many people before and it sounds to me that something wasn't handled right in the beginning.

The tone and job description need to be established from day one. Don't waiver or bad attitudes and poor work ethic will creep up on you.

Did you explain this to him when you hired this person?

Send 'em packin' if you can. Hire a new trainee and have him shadow your current tinter. If your current tinter asked WTF is that about tell him he's been hired to help around the shop and learn how to tint. Once the new guy learns to tint then you can tell Mr. attitude that he's been replaced.

When will the new guy learn to 'tint?' By learn to tint, when will the new trainee skills be adequate?

Archived