I'm curious...

Suppliers, Film brands, and market saturation  

20 members have voted

1. 1. If you had a choice, which would you prefer?

• Minimal relationships with some sort of exclusitivity or commitment on the part of a supplier to minimize dealers
    • I want access to anything I can get my hands on with no commitment and I will accept the fact that my competitiors will be able to do the same thing

:dunno Good points!

Nobody supplies everything a dealer needs. So in all likelihood a dealer could support a brand and secure a market filling in the gaps with a product or two from another supplier. The problem I have seen from the supplier side is this sometimes creates "bait n switch" situations where dealer A comes in with brand name M but then switches to cheaper priced film X to close the sale.

Suppliers need to invest in their customers. I know that the response to this one is basic business... "Every investment made must have a return and if it does, then how long is the ROI?"

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Loyalty is a two way street.

However, if I was to find out my manny opened up another store in my area without my knowledge I would drop them so f'n fast, even after 20 years. :dunno

I expect my loyalty to be returned.

:beer

:thumb Absolutely you should expect that!

Could I get your thoughts TW on this situation? I really want to know how you all feel about certain situations...

What if you were not able to produce the sales that are needed in your market and say your MFG approaches you to try and fix the problem. If you still could not make the numbers and the MFG in turn says "I need to set up another dealer in the area..." Would this be disloyal?

Guest Infiniteoptiks StL
I've noticed suppliers that will sell a box of brand name film to just about anyone that can pay for it and I've seen more restrictive programs where suppliers will only set up only so many dealers in a given market. I'm curious what everyone's thoughts are. Obviously most would like to have "exclusive" representation of a given brand in their marketplace that excludes all of their competition but at the same time they also want access to other films when needed with no commitments.

It is a tangled web... Obviously from a supplier standpoint it is tough to supply one company if they are buying 4 different brands of film.

But from a dealer's point of view... I've seen upwards of 20 companies in a single metro area selling the exact same brand film.

What do you prefer? And where should the balance be?

We sell solar film on our reputation. Not a brand. How can anyone expect loyalty when distributors sell directly to anyone with a credit card? Several have installation crews of their own. They justify this by saying dealers don't go after the big jobs so they will. I've been in this game 30 years ( had 16 installers in the late 1990's) and can't believe the way distributors operate. I was the exculsive Huper dealer in town for 10 years and had to cut them loose for haze issues and it's also reported by fellow dealers. I waited 2 years for answers.The sad fact is you can market with exclusivity but when you cut cost like every manny does due to market conditions you risk quality. The early Huper still looks good. Sad to say goodbye.

My edge is we print decorative film and sell it nationwide for higher profit and no glass warranty BS to deal with. Say "HI" to Gary.

Classic 80/20 rule.

If they would focus on the 20 they would make more money, but trying to serve the 80 :thumb.

:dunno I agree.

So loyalty being a two way street. What if a supplier was loyal in every possible way to a dealer. Under that circumstance do you think the dealer is obligated to go to the supplier before he or she takes on another film line?

Guest tint whisperer
Loyalty is a two way street.

However, if I was to find out my manny opened up another store in my area without my knowledge I would drop them so f'n fast, even after 20 years. :rollin

I expect my loyalty to be returned.

:beer

:spit Absolutely you should expect that!

Could I get your thoughts TW on this situation? I really want to know how you all feel about certain situations...

What if you were not able to produce the sales that are needed in your market and say your MFG approaches you to try and fix the problem. If you still could not make the numbers and the MFG in turn says "I need to set up another dealer in the area..." Would this be disloyal?

Disloyalty is doing something behind someone's back and without their knowledge. If my manny said they think I should put in another location and they have the #'s to prove it, and I wanted to take on the headaches of another location, I'd do it. If I choose not to do it, then I would consider that fair.

However, I'd try like hell to find out who it was and offer to them a management position at our new southside location :lol2

We sell solar film on our reputation. Not a brand. How can anyone expect loyalty when distributors sell directly to anyone with a credit card? Several have installation crews of their own. They justify this by saying dealers don't go after the big jobs so they will. I've been in this game 30 years ( had 16 installers in the late 1990's) and can't believe the way distributors operate. I was the exculsive Huper dealer in town for 10 years and had to cut them loose for haze issues and it's also reported by fellow dealers. I waited 2 years for answers.The sad fact is you can market with exclusivity but when you cut cost like every manny does due to market conditions you risk quality. The early Huper still looks good. Sad to say goodbye.

My edge is we print decorative film and sell it nationwide for higher profit and no glass warranty BS to deal with. Say "HI" to Gary.

:rollin Will do Robert!

Distributors definitely have their challenges. I guess you have to choose your path. We chose not to compete with our customers, no installation crews here and we have never sold a job direct in the history of our company. Sorry to here about your experience, making film is not as easy as it sounds we try to do the best we can to control what is in our control but name a supplier with a perfect record. I can't.

Guest tint whisperer
Classic 80/20 rule.

If they would focus on the 20 they would make more money, but trying to serve the 80 :spit.

:rollin I agree.

So loyalty being a two way street. What if a supplier was loyal in every possible way to a dealer. Under that circumstance do you think the dealer is obligated to go to the supplier before he or she takes on another film line?

Obligated ... maybe not ... but a good dealer would call you and say "hey, I have this spec, what do you have to match it? nothing? are they willing to change the spec? I tried that and they said no. OK. I'm going to have to call XXXX company and pick some up". I would only buy enough to complete the job.

The reality is any decent manny can supply pretty much any need, with of course, the few exceptions.

Why do you need to carry a completely different line? If you are not satisfied with one company, then your not satisfied. Don't be grumpy and say %&$# and then say "but I really like their ---"

Who needs to have 2 or 3 types of silver? to save a few bucks? big deal, tie up all your $ in inventory go ahead!

I really don't understand why people need to keep 2-3 manny's on the line playing one against the other. I can't be bothered.

I would say only make it difficult for those who are not invested in their business ie. someone with an OLFA and a credit card buying a half a roll of film and doing $79.00 cars is not as invested as say maybe a guy that is will to buy some inventory and maintain growth margin for his or her business.

Just some thoughts...

In reality to weed out the above mentioned tinter probably all it would take is proof of a business license and maybe a required first purchase minimum of probably no more than $200 and all subsequent purchases require to order full rolls. This alone would probably rule out about 95% of the trunk monkey hack crackheads.

Archived