I'm curious...

Suppliers, Film brands, and market saturation  

20 members have voted

1. 1. If you had a choice, which would you prefer?

• Minimal relationships with some sort of exclusitivity or commitment on the part of a supplier to minimize dealers
    • I want access to anything I can get my hands on with no commitment and I will accept the fact that my competitiors will be able to do the same thing

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If someone wants to get into the film install business, showing business intent(from the film suppliers' perspective) by producing a business liscence should be enough...

The rest will be determined by their work.

Everyone seems to have "intent" but what about investment? Vehicle, employees maybe, insurance is always good, a contractor's license where applicable, but importantly the ability to install the footage needed to keep an area free of mass-saturation of dealers.

So, if manufacturers want to grow their business, they obviously need to sell more film. To sell more film, generally means more installs, i.e more installers/shops.

And one shop can do only so many installs.

If the film supplier wants to have exclusivity in a certain market, than that's their call(shooting themselves in the foot... my opinion).

A market usually has a $$$ potential based on a number of statistics. A shop like you say can only do x amount of business. So if the shop cannot hit the market potential, would it be reasonable for the supplier to add another dealer?

So, why would you want to make it difficult for the business owner to get his/her raw material? If an installer sucks, everyone from the customer to the supplier will eventually find out. At that time, I think, the supplier has some options. But until then, they are just in business to sell film! Good quality film... :bingo

I would say only make it difficult for those who are not invested in their business ie. someone with an OLFA and a credit card buying a half a roll of film and doing $79.00 cars is not as invested as say maybe a guy that is will to buy some inventory and maintain growth margin for his or her business.

Just some thoughts...

Being an owner of several business, I (partly)understand what you are saying...

But, the market is not what it used to be. And this idea that the manufacturers are concerned about you and your business is hogwash... All they are concerned about(in reality) is VOLUME!!! So, if the supplier wants to control the shops by market potential, then what you are talking about is a franchise. You let me know how many people are willing to buy a window tinting franchise!

Also, how many shop owners want the supplier on their backs about how you bought less film from us this month than last?

A guy with an OLFA knife and credit card has no match with someone who is "highly" invested in their business. Word of mouth spreads quickly! I don't think a guy with a brand new Mercedes or Lexus is taking their car to a $79 tint shop!!!

For whatever it's worth...

I would say only make it difficult for those who are not invested in their business ie. someone with an OLFA and a credit card buying a half a roll of film and doing $79.00 cars is not as invested as say maybe a guy that is will to buy some inventory and maintain growth margin for his or her business.

Just some thoughts...

In reality to weed out the above mentioned tinter probably all it would take is proof of a business license and maybe a required first purchase minimum of probably no more than $200 and all subsequent purchases require to order full rolls. This alone would probably rule out about 95% of the trunk monkey hack crackheads.

DB have you inquired with your current supplier if they require this?

I don't know who you buy from but I am curious.

Just some thoughts...

In reality to weed out the above mentioned tinter probably all it would take is proof of a business license and maybe a required first purchase minimum of probably no more than $200 and all subsequent purchases require to order full rolls. This alone would probably rule out about 95% of the trunk monkey hack crackheads.

Only supplier that I have ever talked to that required a minimum first purhcase was Huper. I think my supplier does require you buy full rolls on auto at least.

i like the buy in stuff when it comes to films, and i like the tiers also. it keeps the weak shops away from my brands. but that hasnt helped in the past year or two.

what i would like is for the manu's to make it plain and simple for the customer to see what they are getting on theri websites

i sell llullu and i wish it was easier for the customer to see which film is good and which film is just plain standard. that way i can refer to their website when talking to customers.

there is a lot of llullu dealers around now and the customers just say "they use the same film". we try to educate the customer, however if what i was saying was easily backed up by the manu's website it would make it 10x easier

im sure every manu would benefit from it

I've noticed suppliers that will sell a box of brand name film to just about anyone that can pay for it and I've seen more restrictive programs where suppliers will only set up only so many dealers in a given market. I'm curious what everyone's thoughts are. Obviously most would like to have "exclusive" representation of a given brand in their marketplace that excludes all of their competition but at the same time they also want access to other films when needed with no commitments.

It is a tangled web... Obviously from a supplier standpoint it is tough to supply one company if they are buying 4 different brands of film.

But from a dealer's point of view... I've seen upwards of 20 companies in a single metro area selling the exact same brand film.

What do you prefer? And where should the balance be?

We sell solar film on our reputation. Not a brand. How can anyone expect loyalty when distributors sell directly to anyone with a credit card? Several have installation crews of their own. They justify this by saying dealers don't go after the big jobs so they will. I've been in this game 30 years ( had 16 installers in the late 1990's) and can't believe the way distributors operate. I was the exculsive Huper dealer in town for 10 years and had to cut them loose for haze issues and it's also reported by fellow dealers. I waited 2 years for answers.The sad fact is you can market with exclusivity but when you cut cost like every manny does due to market conditions you risk quality. The early Huper still looks good. Sad to say goodbye.

My edge is we print decorative film and sell it nationwide for higher profit and no glass warranty BS to deal with. Say "HI" to Gary.

Welcome to TD :beer

Remember TintDude is sometimes referred to as the ThunderDome :beer Sounds like you are a old timer like me, where you from?

edit spellen

i like the buy in stuff when it comes to films, and i like the tiers also. it keeps the weak shops away from my brands. but that hasnt helped in the past year or two.

what i would like is for the manu's to make it plain and simple for the customer to see what they are getting on theri websites

i sell llullu and i wish it was easier for the customer to see which film is good and which film is just plain standard. that way i can refer to their website when talking to customers.

there is a lot of llullu dealers around now and the customers just say "they use the same film". we try to educate the customer, however if what i was saying was easily backed up by the manu's website it would make it 10x easier

im sure every manu would benefit from it

Throw a rock in Murrieta and you'll hit a lulu dealer

Just some thoughts...

Only supplier that I have ever talked to that required a minimum first purhcase was Huper. I think my supplier does require you buy full rolls on auto at least.

DB, I was asking if they required business credentials such as a business license etc.

I hate that word "exclusive," it's overrated but it is used a lot so let me give my interpretation for the sake of the thread. I believe "exclusive" in the supplier customer relationship is dependent on a dealer maintaining a minimum amount of business in a given market to enable a supplier to minimize relationships. If you buy enough film in a 12 month period then there should be no need to over saturate a market on the part of a supplier. Ideally, there is responsibility on both ends.

:beer

I agree with you on this Rob. I have always taken the approach that I would rather partner with key dealers in each marketplace and then focus on helping them grow their businesses. Then, as a bi-product of their growth, we grow as a supplier too. I have never been a fan of the manufacturers that have a vending machine mentality to distribution. "Insert a dollar or credit card here and some film comes out over there". That is short term thinking IMHO. Select your partners carefully and then do everything you can to help them succeed. :beer

Archived