I'm curious...

Suppliers, Film brands, and market saturation  

20 members have voted

1. 1. If you had a choice, which would you prefer?

• Minimal relationships with some sort of exclusitivity or commitment on the part of a supplier to minimize dealers
    • I want access to anything I can get my hands on with no commitment and I will accept the fact that my competitiors will be able to do the same thing

Tim, I have been out most of the afternoon and night on a install,but while there I was actually thinking the exact same thing, it is nice that people like you,Howard,and the others you mention have the stones to step up here. Most tinters ( myself included) do not have a vast knowledge of the front office.

Totally agree. It's a precarious position trying to represent a manufacturer. There will always be someone lurking on this site reading what you wrote and making a judgement about whether you should have responded and how you responded. If you can do that well, everything is peachy. If you do not. .

In a corporate world each person has their own scope and view. The local rep versus area manager versus National Sales Manager versus GM versus VP etc.

Dealers and distributors have their own world view (obviously)

On the exclusivity issue like everything else in this business, we all have our own opinions.

Once upon a time I participated in a Six Sigma program exploring this very question.

Franchises and elite type dealer programs (on paper) offered the best growth and profitability outcomes.

There are numerous variables. The product selection, the geographic entitlement based on demographics, weather and competitive market share. The brand recognition and pricing.

Getting dealer buy in is another issue but let's agree that once you find that elite dealer base and give growth targets, etc. the devil is always in the details.

The dealer has to buy a certain amount of film and grow a certain amount each year.

Some do- Some don't.

How do you as a manny handle that? Particularly during a recession? Do you dilute your base by adding new dealers? Do you recruit competitive elite dealers and allow them to keep their other "exclusive" brand?

How do you navigate around anti-trust rules at the same time?

What happens when your product mix is no longer superior to the non exclusive competition? Will the dealer continue to remain loyal while they get their clocks cleaned by the commodity driven competition?

Who monitors all this and is the program fair throughout the channel- -or are you playing favorites based on other factors and relationships.

So in other words- -It's complicated.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived