Over Analyze this.........

So, I quoted a store front for a local bath / linen shop. The owner now is over analyzing everything. She received a quote for Vista film from a competitor and I quoted Geo Shield nano-ceramic. Two different film technologies for sure, along with pricing structure. After quoting her store, she asked for a quote for her home. My price for her store was the same price as she received for Vista. Then her quote for the house was right on also. Did I also state that it is a million dollar + home?? So, now she asks if cutting out some of the windows is ok, even though the sun was barreling in through them. Her last questions are getting into technical specifics that she would never unserstand nor are important to her applications. How do you deal with them???

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So, I quoted a store front for a local bath / linen shop. The owner now is over analyzing everything. She received a quote for Vista film from a competitor and I quoted Geo Shield nano-ceramic. Two different film technologies for sure, along with pricing structure. After quoting her store, she asked for a quote for her home. My price for her store was the same price as she received for Vista. Then her quote for the house was right on also. Did I also state that it is a million dollar + home?? So, now she asks if cutting out some of the windows is ok, even though the sun was barreling in through them. Her last questions are getting into technical specifics that she would never unserstand nor are important to her applications. How do you deal with them???

Which Vista film? Neutral, Dual Reflective, Low E, Spectrally Selective, or Ceramic?

If you or the Vista dealer hand out parameter sheets during your sales presentations it's fairly normal to get the technical questions. Stick with the technical terms that are related to what she's trying to achieve and explain those features of the film you presented.

I am thinking that since she told you the other bid was the same price, most will do this to try and get a lower price or get a few windows done for free, offer doing the windows in her home that she cut from your bid for free if she gives you the two jobs, that is if you would still make enough $$ doing that.

Do you show the price for each window on your bids, or do you list all of the sizes and number of windows and a total price ........ ?

I am thinking that since she told you the other bid was the same price, most will do this to try and get a lower price or get a few windows done for free, offer doing the windows in her home that she cut from your bid for free if she gives you the two jobs, that is if you would still make enough $$ doing that.

Do you show the price for each window on your bids, or do you list all of the sizes and number of windows and a total price ........ ?

Actually, neither. I never itemize or list sizes. This only gives the competition the opportunity to underbid over the phone. And to the point of doing the windows she cut out for free....NEVER, that gives her the chance to think I over bid at the start.

Cut bait.

One more round of questions and I am..............

Guest gbannerman

Experience tells us that this back and forth with the customer all boils down to them being unsure about something and therefore unwilling to let you close the sale; you just have to find out what it is. Let's assume you have done the basic about window film(basics is all they need to know) then the only remaining step is to provide enough connection between their initial issue and your service.

At this stage you have probably already matched the issue with the solution, so the other 2 factors will be price and confidence in your service. You have competition trying to get the same 2 jobs so this customer is obviously lacking a bit of the puzzle to make a decision with either of you, they have a big house and own a business so you wouldnt think that the price is important.

So customer is thinking one or a few of the following:

1) Will this plastic actually work?

2) Which company should I use?

3) What if I go ahead with it and it doesnt work.

4) Do i need it on all the windows?

So to conclude and strictly from my point of view I would get a little bit rough with the customer and take them bake through the process starting with window film the product.. Window film will do this (heat, uv), it will protect this (stock, fixtures) , it will look like this (sample), it will save you money because of this (stock, bills). Secondly build total confidence in the company and service, we offer this, it will take this long to install, warranty is this, any problems call us..etc..etc. Then push for the sale by summarising the whole situation. "Have I answered all your questions about how window film will work in your store & home"..YES. Have I fully explained how XX Window film company provides a full a to z service including after install support such as warranty so you are completely confident in both the product and service? YES. So when shall we arrange this installation. Take control.

There's obviously a need there, you just need to find the obstacles that the customer has in their heads. Most of the time they are not being fussy or timewasting, they just dont have all the answers they need yet, and maybe they wont tell you what it is so you have to sit down with them and go through it all slowly, hold their hand, build a relationship, make them like you as a person not a salesman, find a connection, compliment their store or home, give them a cuddle and tell them everything's gonna be alright. Then take their money, stick on some plastic and move on to the next one.

Don't give up. There is obviously a need there, just find the sticking point. Good luck.

Archived