Advertise Here

Double pane windows

I'm assuming you're talking about flatglass? Yes, double-pane windows are pretty much all windows(today) that are tinted. The only thing is you cannot use (for example) film that is meant for cars on flatglass. This is due to heat absorption. Most all of the film used on flatglass is highly reflective, for this reason.

So, yes you do install film on double pane windows. But, only film specific for that application. You also need to consider the total area of the window, and if there is any partial shade on it, etc...

I'm assuming you're talking about flatglass? Yes, double-pane windows are pretty much all windows(today) that are tinted. The only thing is you cannot use (for example) film that is meant for cars on flatglass. This is due to heat absorption. Most all of the film used on flatglass is highly reflective, for this reason.

So, yes you do install film on double pane windows. But, only film specific for that application. You also need to consider the total area of the window, and if there is any partial shade on it, etc...

ok so no automomtive film on this kind of windows right?

ok so no automomtive film on this kind of windows right?

No auto film on flat glass.

:facepalm2 Film's been installed on IGU's for well over 25 years and there are still people out saying it can't be done. Sad after all of these years we are still in need of some serious educational outreach. :lol2

Hi VQ,

It took almost 75 years to convince surgeons that they needed to wash their hands to prevent the spread of infection. By that yardstick, we have 50 more years to go.

This is but one of many misconceptions about our industry, our products and how they perform.

I will answer that question now.

-Howard

Can double pane windows be tinted? someone told me that double pane windows cant be tinted or they may shatter because of the gas in the windows.

So... please, any info on this would be appreciated :facepalm2

Hi Funes,

This is Howard @ Express Window Films. Thank you for raising this important question.

Solar control films are applied to dual pane windows every day. You do have a valid concern however, which is why our industry publishes guidelines for such applications.

Generally speaking, here are the constraints:

• Window units must not exceed 40 sq/ft
  • Films with a Total Solar Energy Absorbed (TSEa) of 54 or less (<=54) are considered dual pane compatible

There are a few other considerations (such as partial shading, unique shaped custom units, etc.). An experienced solar control technician can guide you thru the choices available and help you select a film which would be safe for the windows and help you meet your solar control objectives.

If you have any questions about glass+film compatibility or window film performance, please feel free to call me at (800)FILM-NOW (800)345-6669.

-Howard

There is no documented proof that I can find that proves that window film creates premature IG unit failures. If you talk to anyone who is seriously into the flat glass market, their percentage of glass breakage is less than 2%

There is no documented proof that I can find that proves that window film creates premature IG unit failures. If you talk to anyone who is seriously into the flat glass market, their percentage of glass breakage is less than 2%

Interestingly we have heard more doubt from clients as window film became an add-on product for blind and window covering companies. They lead with the window film; tell the client that film voids warranty or worse (breaks the glass) then they up sell to verticals, etc. Seems part of their selling tactics.

Interestingly we have heard more doubt from clients as window film became an add-on product for blind and window covering companies. They lead with the window film; tell the client that film voids warranty or worse (breaks the glass) then they up sell to verticals, etc. Seems part of their selling tactics.

:thumb Had to "wait in line" a few times behind blind/shade salesmen and got to hear their pitch. You are spot on.

Archived