Double pane windows

I remember a few years ago I got a chance to listen to a solar screen sales guy. He started telling the potential customer that if you have window film installed, you will find glass all over the room. I almost wet myself laughing so hard. I also left the client with a signed contract. That customer was so happy we ended up doing most of the homes on that block.

If you look at it on a possitive note, we must be doing something right because the competing industries are having to go through drastic measures to sell their wares.

If you talk to anyone who is seriously into the flat glass market, their percentage of glass breakage is less than 2%

Hi Tintman,

Agreed. In fact, I think it's probably closer to 0.02% than 2.0%.

Let's not forget that blinds and curtains can also add to the solar heat load. At least our industry publishes data. Ask a blind or a curtain guy to quantify how much the head load on the glazing will change if you go with Curtain A, B, C or Vertical A, B, C.

-Howard

You do have a valid concern however, which is why our industry publishes guidelines for such applications.

Generally speaking, here are the constraints:

• Films with a Total Solar Energy Absorbed (TSEa) of 54 or less (<=54) are considered dual pane compatible

-Howard

Howard,

Who validated this specific recommendation? Someone from our industry? And is it a guideline for thermal breakage or seal failure?

-Rob

Who validated this specific recommendation? Someone from our industry? And is it a guideline for thermal breakage or seal failure?

-Rob

Hi Rob,

Reference:

AIMCAL Window Film Committee

Recommendations For Avoiding Glass Failure

Page #2

Last paragraph

It is primarily a guide for avoiding thermal breakage. While film is often blamed for seal failure, there is little objective data to support that. (see page 3 paragraph #2).

Anyone who needs a copy of this can contact me.

-Howard

-Rob

Hi Rob,

Reference:

AIMCAL Window Film Committee

Recommendations For Avoiding Glass Failure

Page #2

Last paragraph

It is primarily a guide for avoiding thermal breakage. While film is often blamed for seal failure, there is little objective data to support that. (see page 3 paragraph #2).

Anyone who needs a copy of this can contact me.

-Howard

Thanks Howard. I will have to dig up my copy and check it out. I have the IWFA 1998 pamplet on "The Use of Window Films on IGU's" good info there on seal failure.

Archived