Question about plotter cut film

I wanna play around with some custom cut overlayed film and kinda curious about a few things. Are you guys applying transfer paper to keep the design whole, like vinyl, to apply to the window?

I use a graphtec CE-5000 with Flexi for my graphics work but since I have it and have gotten some requests, I thought I might play around with some film.

I know the old tried and true way is handcutting but with some of the graphics out there anymore and the use of cutters, some of this has to be done using a cutter.

I never tried running any film through my cutter yet (mostly since I dont use Tint tek or CC) but from what I understand a 60 degree blade works best. Do you cut with liner side down and weed it out like normal?

I know its a bunch of questions, prolly very elementary for most who are already doing this, but this is the best place to get answers.

Thanks

i found that applying a piece of pre mask to the clear liner side before cutting the graphic helps a bunch especially if it's something small and also wipe the bed of the plotter with a fabric softner to keep the tint from bunching up or trying to stick.

i found that applying a piece of pre mask to the clear liner side before cutting the graphic helps a bunch especially if it's something small and also wipe the bed of the plotter with a fabric softner to keep the tint from bunching up or trying to stick.

On the subject of tint bunching up as it comes off the plotter, as a total newb to plotters, in my research I have been told that one company makes a special table to receive the tint as it comes off the plotter. Its like an air hockey table that allows the film to glide off the plotter to avoid any damage. Seems logical but very expensive. Whats the best way to combat possible film damage from the plotter? What sort of table tops are you guys using (glass, vinyl etc)??

On the subject of tint bunching up as it comes off the plotter, as a total newb to plotters, in my research I have been told that one company makes a special table to receive the tint as it comes off the plotter. Its like an air hockey table that allows the film to glide off the plotter to avoid any damage. Seems logical but very expensive. Whats the best way to combat possible film damage from the plotter? What sort of table tops are you guys using (glass, vinyl etc)??

There is a thread somewhere started by Blade, I believe, about this. He made a catch basket using screens. I dont use catch baskets b/c they just get in the way, so I stand in front to hold the film up. The problem I face is when I need to cut something very very long and the film bunches up behind the plotter on the floor. Im about to cut some material 36x107 and Im not sure how well it will go.

There are also people who put a glass table in front of the plotter.

Archived