2012 Nissan Altima

pbalentine

Guest thatsnappyguy

Before u use the blue pads I saturate them with my slip solution and squeeze them a few times to loosen them up. When I go pus out The water, I make it one good pass with the go daddy.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest spfwindowtinting

Nissan Altima's are one of our most common cars we do averaging 15+ a week of all year models. We have three installers including my self. We all shrink different. The peanuts are a different issue on most newer models. We now use OO steel wool. This for the most part will fix the problem. Nissan when making these back windows leaves burs in the defrost lines. This is what is causing the peanuts. If done long enough and hard enough the steel wool will eliminate the problem. It's always most common on the # 3,4,5,6 from the bottom on both sides. We scrub very hard on these lines and keep a separate bottle of alcohol water to clean with afterwards. This removes any oil that could prevent the film from laying all the way down. We now have next to no problems with them. This is an issue we have dealt with and hated for around 4 years now. It can be fixed. We primarily use Madico char-cool films. We sale Wincoos, Crystalline, and have used global and llumar on them. Best of luck!

i work at a nissan dealership, im not retail, just dealership.. lol i probally cant count as high as to how many 2011 and 2012 4 door altimas i have tinted... at one point last sumer i was tinting 6 to 7 a day 6 days a week, just me... and trucks keep dropping more off and kept me about 50 behind until our lot got full... i use 2000 grrit 3m sand paper on every altima and maxima 11 ad up back glass... only sand about from the side to 4 inces over on both sides.. i use a blue max and sideswipe at the bottom.. and dryshrink using soap..

Did a 012 Altima yesterday with Global NR %5, what a sucky back window. Now I see what ya'll are talking about. I pushed "peanuts" around the lines and they were back within minutes.

I guess that's what ya'll mean by "peanuts" as opposed to fingers ?

I guess that's what ya'll mean by "peanuts" as opposed to fingers ?

:bingo however, I'm guessing you used wet shrink ? Soap shrink and you won't have those issues

just did an H wipe on a dry backglass with a verticle swipe in the middle ( 1-1-1 ) pattern with a sponge wet with my slip solution. Sealed each section to form a pocket and shrunk/shaped it with a felt pad. Atr/atc sure shrink much easier. I think my next ill try following the curve of the defroster line to push out more water.

A lot of people say they shrink it different to keep from getting peanuts, I guess if it works for them then more power.

However, I dry shrink every car and in my experience, only the ones with thick grids cause peanuts. I posted on this forum a few months ago about these being a problem for me, and a lot of people all said the same thing-sand them. Recently, a guy I started tinting with showed me his method-go over it lightly with a pot scrubber just enough to remove the extra grit on the lines, and problem solved. Literally, just one light cleaning pass over the glass with the pot scrubber is all it takes, you will notice the grids are now more of a smooth copper, then wipe clean, and go over it again with whatever other scrubber and cleaning process you usually use.

I did one yesterday, and it worked great. An extra 5 minutes of prep saves an hour of chasing nuts. I'm no longer afraid of these.

Before getting to try it on an Altima, I did a couple older fords with thick grids and they turned out nice too after pot scrubbing it. Just experiment and be sure not to go crazy, you could prob remove the lines on some cars.

No pic but If you don't know peanuts yet consider yourself blessed. There's a few different vehicles that will do it. I did a late 90s Lexus the other day and got my hind end handed to me even after scrubbing. But the different scrub methods mentioned are a quick fix for this one. I like the silver pot scrubber myself, about a 3 minute go-over and problem solved. :thumb

Archived