looking for some insight on BG install

not new to the game but looking for what everyones technique is for cleaning and installing film on the BG. my technique is spray window down and scrub with white scrub pad, spray down again, then squeegee with a wide black edged squeegee spray down again and install using TTC/taco fold method. i sometimes get contamination in random spots from time to time. just looking to see what i can do to improve my installs.

What i do is, before i put the soap on the outside for the shrinking, i inspect the glass make sure where most of the dirt/contamination is, sometimes there can be a peace of tape or something that you will not see until you install the film. So, then i spray the BG with Glass cleaner, scrub with the white scrub pad, spray a little and squeegee. Spray BG again with water and squeegee again. Then get my countour and wrap it in lint free paper towel, and run it along the side of the BG. Then, once again i spray the edges basically wash down the edges and the bottom of the glass. Then i spray the solution and install the film.

Oh ya, i also wipe down the package tray or deck and all the plastic covers around the BG and i install tape on the top of the headliner. Hope that helps.

Guest shadeking

How clean are your side window installs? Could be contaminants in the water or something in the air. If your prepping your tint on the outside it could be dirt on the car getting in the liner when you wet it prior to rolling it up. I put a plastic shower curtain on the backseat and try to also cover the package shelf. Masking tape on top where the headliner meets the glass, and wipe all the plastic trim. Dirt particles have a way of moving around when you climb in and out of a backseat, especially if the car is dirty inside.

Also before peeling the liner on the car, I spray the top and sides of the film then squeegee. This gets rid of any contaminants that might run down while spraying. I also squeegee the back glass multiple times.

I cut bitcher paper and contour it with the bottom of the window on the inside. Wax side up. Ive avioded almost all contamination problems. And tape the top edge. Using the ttc fold you can lay the film down and unfold. Does stick to the butcher paper but still easier than anything else.

And helps avoid water getting on speakers.

Nice. When I read "bitcher" paper, I was like what is that? Then read butcher lol. Also when using the TTC fold with a brake light cut out, don't fold over the opening.

One of my bigger threats has been catching the molding or seat when getting in car. I always go in through passenger side as habit and make sure seat is all the way forward and bucket pulled forward as well. I use that space once in car to position myself better to avoid catching the film anywhere else.

Guest l1ld3v1lrydr

I'm hooked on the fold option for installing. I get the tint in to the car no problems, but then while unfolding it and trying to get it to stick to the glass and not fall off, the bottom corners sometimes let loose and fall down on to the decking. That's the only time I get dirt under the film. Just something I have to work on.

What i do is, before i put the soap on the outside for the shrinking, i inspect the glass make sure where most of the dirt/contamination is, sometimes there can be a peace of tape or something that you will not see until you install the film. So, then i spray the BG with Glass cleaner, scrub with the white scrub pad, spray a little and squeegee. Spray BG again with water and squeegee again. Then get my countour and wrap it in lint free paper towel, and run it along the side of the BG. Then, once again i spray the edges basically wash down the edges and the bottom of the glass. Then i spray the solution and install the film.

Oh ya, i also wipe down the package tray or deck and all the plastic covers around the BG and i install tape on the top of the headliner. Hope that helps.

Thats pretty much how I do it.

Another thing that i think can help for cleaning the bg is to use a black channel on a unger handle(what I use). I recenlty started cleaning/installing more with my stroke doctor squeegee.

Archived