How to tint 02 caddy deville dts with vinyl top?

Guest pinoyheat551

Guest pinoyheat551

I had this customer today that brought in a 02 caddy deville DTS. To say the least, it was a nightmare to tint the back window since it was in vinyl. How in the world do you tint a car with vinyl? So, i am doing the usual - bulk cut, shrink, and then cut again, but in the end, its always too short on one side or the top. Plus, i didn't want to cut the vinyl so i didn't cut too close. Thus, leaving a light gap. The only way i can see this happening is that if there was another deville window (without the vinyl) that i can shrink and cut with.

Any thoughts or ideas? This was just a nightmare for me...

if you keep an extra liner you can put that on the window first and marker out a shape of the window to make a pattern. theres, i think, alot of room on the inside of those. then put a big rectangle of tint on the glass, cut the bottom line. then shift it down much more then youd need to, cut the top line. then you shrink it top and bottom shifting it up and down a few times. then you can use the pattern you made to cut it on your glass.

well thats one way to get it done.

Put you oversized tint on the window, cut the bottom and 1 side. Remove and slide down and over to over lap the edges you just cut. Then cut the top and other side. Trim any points and round off any sharp edges.

install and shrink in place.

Save the liner and mark it with the year and model and now you have a template.

The last car i did with a Landau "vinyl" top (this is just an example!!), I marked a general pattern on the tint bigger than the opening to be covered. I laid the film on my peel board trimmed it and used the windshield to form it close. Yes it had a couple of fingers to mess with, but it was fast and clean. In the end, no light gaps! :thumb

Guest filmslayer
Put you oversized tint on the window, cut the bottom and 1 side. Remove and slide down and over to over lap the edges you just cut. Then cut the top and other side. Trim any points and round off any sharp edges.

install and shrink in place.

Guest shadeking

I put a larger piece on the back glass, shrink it a bit not too close that it would burn anything. Run a sharpie along the border then lay it on the peel board. Trim half an inch or more larger than the marking depending on how much space you have inside the back glass.

Archived