Taking deposits for auto appointments

I think I would lose half of the business I currently get if I required a deposit before I set an appt. It is hard enough to get them to show once. I suppose maybe credit card deposits over the phone may work but most people don't like putting money up front for service type work....:dunno

When you build a good rep they will do it no problem just to make sure they are getting it tinted from you. :dunno

I know its been almost a month since the last comment on this but since the end of November I've only not taken a hand full of deposits. Out of the few I haven't gotten two showed up, the others wouldn't even answer the phone or return a call from the message left.

I think I would lose half of the business I currently get if I required a deposit before I set an appt. It is hard enough to get them to show once. I suppose maybe credit card deposits over the phone may work but most people don't like putting money up front for service type work.... :dunno

Most any friends/acquaintances I have that are service based get 50% down. If I were to start doing flat glass there is no way in hell I even make an appointment let alone order material without half down. I know auto is different but I run a pretty tight schedule and rarely do I take walkins so for me deposits are all but a must.

I am a one man show and I schedule everyone at 8 a.m. so if any one of them is a no show I have the rest of they day to fill that slot. Not much is more satisfying when you have a no show no call and they show up a couple hours later to a parking lot full of cars and you then can tell them "Sorry, when you didn't show I have filled your slot. After 8 a.m. it is first come first serve and I now have all I can do today but if you would like I do still have something available for day after tomorrow or one day next week." I do still try to accomodate those people as soon as possible but no shows no calls get a lower priority.

We started taking $25 nonrefundable deposits on Sat appointments about 5 months ago and not one person has not shown up. In the next few months I am going to make all cars dropped off by 9am so I know who shows and who doesn't and if you want a later appointment you will have to leave a deposit.

Archived