Hello out there in tintland, just wondering if any of you have ever used film for soundproofing reasons. I had a client call me the other day explaining that he lives in a condo downtown that backs onto to train station and the noise is driving him nuts. He did some research on his own and looked into some soundproof windows that are mounted on the interior of his existing units. Due to the construction of his particular windows, these units would not work.

When he called me about it I was a bit clueless about it but, upon doing a bit of web searching of my own I was able to find many references to using window films as a soundproofing method. Although I was able to find these references, there was no real information about how well this actually works. It does make sense in theory to me that applying a thicker film such as S&S it could act as a dampening device to stop the glass from resonating and amplifying the outside noise to the inside. On one site, the manufacturer of a certain SS film actually claims a 4db reduction after film installation.

So I put it to you ladies and gents....

Has anyone ever used film for this purpose? If so, how well did it work?

Thanks for any input...

I have actually been asked for this in the past to filter the noise from a new highway. The short answer is yes it works, but how well is difficult to quantify. There are other variables; number of windows verses amount of wall, seal around the windows, the glass type, etc. By applying an film you are at best providing an additional buffer, the thicker the film the greater the buffering. How much of a reduction will you achieve :dunno I wouldn't claim decibels when talking to a customer :twocents

Thanks for the reply teedub. The client knows that it is not the be all and end all of his problem but, more than db readings he wants to know if he will subjectively notice a difference. Have you gotten any feedback after doing an install for this purpose whether there is a noticeable reduction?

I would like to be confident in telling him that he will notice a difference and it's a nice job to book too. To install 8mil it will cost him half the amount that the retrofit soundproof windows would, so he is definately motivated.

There's a DIY page on their website. It shows how their metal framing is mounted to the window frame (or opening).

The pic on their home page shows it going on wood frame Pella.

Magnetite IS the way to go. I see it alot in older homes near downtown. Quiets traffic noise significantly.