Office privacy

Well i got a flat glass job lined up (first one) :dance . company has an interior office in a building and wants to be able to see out but not in so like a one way mirror effect. I exsplained to them its impossible to achieve this 100%. i have picked Hanita optitune 5%. from what ive read on here and heard from my film rep it will give me the best possible 1 way mirror efect. the good thing though is that the office is used for slide shows so the room is kept dim most of the time and the main door way lets light in onto the office so hopefully it will be what i exspect. the window are already tinted, no film but dark glass. will installing the film on the inside still give a good mirror effect? also i will upload the pictures in the next post of the seals and if yall would try and pull them out or just cut like normal. Any special tips would be awesome. another problem is i will have to pull film out of the box on the ground or off a table and reverse roll. any tips to make my life a little more easy would be great. thanks!

Looks like a nice job for the first one dink. Congrates! But nerve racking first time round though isn't it?

Well you shouldn't run into too much headaches with this one. Everything is pretty straight forward as far as the install goes. The mirror effect will be most visible as kong as the lights are lower in that room. If the hall lights were off and the room light was on you would see through a very tinted window.

For preparing your film, I like to cut mine at home for each window and reverse roll them ready to go for the next day. Regardless where you cut and roll, do not oversize the cut too much as it naked for a pain in the arse to fit the roll between the framing or pull the liber at the bottom end of the window.

If you have to pull from the floor, you can put a couple pieces of masking tape on the top end of the film, pull the strip up onto the top frame, then use the bottom frame for your cut. Make sure the liner is facing you on the window then you can just roll it up from the bottom and it will be ready to go. Make sure the tape is holding well before you let it go. Nice dry, clean wipe on the frame first.

I like to pay extra attention to making sure that bottom frame is REALLY clean in the corners as, all the dirty water will pool down in the corners and cause the corners of the film to lift.

Dont worry about pulling the seals, just make a nice cut using your hard card as a guide. Make sure the hard card rides against the seal and doesn't ride up on it as you go with your cut.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

PS I would lay that small window above the door first just so you get a feel for it before you use a huge piece.

Also, even if you pre roll at home, don't just bring those rolls with you to the site. Always have your box with you just in case you bitch a window. Saved my butt a couple times...lol

Ya im nervous as heck :lol im glad im doing it on a saturday when no one will be around. I will def try and get the film rolled at home. Would u roll the film onto a stick or piece of pvc? Or will it drop with having the extra weight? Im gonna try and line the top edge and one side up with the seals so i will only have to cut 2 sides. Im gonna have to use my bluemax to clean and push water out also. I guess the blue max will be safe with dry adhesive?

Lol Ta one of my first office jobs looked very similar to yours. Difference being it was with frost which tacks almost immediately, the wall of glass had no framing at all, just nice bevelled edges that I had to hand shave.then I had to cut notches out before hanging to get around a floating header. All this in a room with a shitte load of IT techs in and out of the door in the middle of the wall! Had alot of fun on that one.

IT TECH halfway through job, "hey man are you ok?? Your sweating buckets!"

Me: "I'm ok, just working hard" dying!!!

Anyway, I have never used a stuck or anything. I just started snap rolling recently but up till then I just stuck the top edge on and walked the roll down with my other hand. If you do thus make sure to keep an eye on the film at the top as you reach mid to bottom. If an edge starts to roll back and get away drone the glass it will take the whole sheet down on ya. Waste!

Keep one hand holding the film in place as you unroll. Other wise it will slid around in your slip solution.

I try to line up at least one edge ya but I'm not to|\|4L about it. If that's all your thinking at the time is gotten get these edges lined up, in the time your messin around lining em up the film starts to tack and gets harder to skid without kinking.

If it won't line up right away just overlap the edges and concentrate on a nice trim job. It's better to get the fink on nice and do a nice 4sided trim, than notch the whole sheet for an attempt at a perfect alignment.

Hmmm anything else....

Are you working solo? Got a nice wide two-step to stand and walk on?

Moving blankets make awesome absorbent drop sheet in homes and offices! $10 a piece

Anything else feel free to ask...

By the way, all the nerves make it worthwhile. Everything will go great. Just take your time and don't forget to think before you act. Think twice, act once. Measure twice, cut once.

I take it you do auto? Trust ne I do more fFG than auto. If you can handle a car, you'll do just find on FG.

Archived