Clio= Dream Killer :(

Guest Crete

Hi all Hope you can help , 2 years ago I paid nearly £2,000 to complete a window tinting course which was 3 days long, don't get me wrong it was fantastic but over the 3 days I had no problems the hardest car I had to heat shrink was a ford focus which was straight forward. So a few weeks later I was tinting out of my garage using solar guard NR charcoal , all was going great untill I came across a Renault Clio :( I went thru about 60 feet of film trying to heat shrink it but it would always shrink up to a point then disstaut , I gave up and went back to the drawing board ..... Any advice at all would b fantastic as I am really hoping to get a business going this year .......... Even if there is someone in Britain who will let me come and watch would b awesome thanks

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest matt5983

eBay film is %&$#. Full stop.

Not used solar so can't comment on it. My advice to you is to leave clios,beetle,mk5 golfs etc well alone until you are able to shrink the others with no issues. The above cars take ALOT of skill to get right and skill comes with time.

We could tell you how to do it, but I know if you then went and tried you'll still knacker it up. To many variables are involved.

Just keep with the easier cars, understand what the film is doing and how far to push it

I've used Solar Gard since day 1 and like it. I use the Supreme which is a thinner film than the standard NR and it shrinks nicely but some find it creases easily because its thin. I'm used to it and like it. Also Tried Suntek carbon which seems to shrink nicely also and is thicker like the standard NR.. Clio just takes practise, I guess I was lucky as the course I wnt on when I started had a clio rear screen which we were able to practise on. It is possible to take your time and do a standard soap shrink but many use the lift and pull method for these, Beetles and a bit on Golfs, and then these can be done very quickly. Solar Gard even ran a free traning seminar on the lift and pull method a few years ago but have not repeated it.

There is a video of shrinking a clio here

Thanks , what film do you use on these more difficult windows ? I have tinted about 30-40 cars so far ( mainly fiestas , transporters , civics , etc ) and I was extremely confident with the whole process of shrinking ( obviously nothing compared to you guys ) but as you said there are many variables and I would like to start with a new " recommended " film that I know can shrink on these cars and I will then just practice untill I get it down ...... Thanks for your reply much appreciated

Guest tint325i

good film is definately half the battle for any install, clios are a pain to start with but once you've sussed them out you'll rattle thru them just as quick as anything else, its tempting to anchor high, up near the shoulder of the curve, I dont I anchor about 2/3 of the way down and blast them out in 10 mins, I find the low anchor is the secret to these, and only anchor horizontally not up the sides, they really arent as hard as they look, once you get the first one done you'll be sailing, DONT GIVE UP

Guest tint325i

I just watched the link and that not even close to the way I do them!! lol but it takes about the same time so I suppose its really what works best for you, I find the side anchors more of a hindrance than a help on these (I dont really side anchor many cars at all)

Guest matt5983
good film is definately half the battle for any install, clios are a pain to start with but once you've sussed them out you'll rattle thru them just as quick as anything else, its tempting to anchor high, up near the shoulder of the curve, I dont I anchor about 2/3 of the way down and blast them out in 10 mins, I find the low anchor is the secret to these, and only anchor horizontally not up the sides, they really arent as hard as they look, once you get the first one done you'll be sailing, DONT GIVE UP

Exactly the same technic I do with these. No anchor on the sides is a must I find.

The two best shrinking films are Suntek and global. I use these on cars like this and they help with half the battle.

Archived