What's The Best Way To Tint Side Windows With Weather Shields?

Guest iChoice-Tint

Guest iChoice-Tint

Hi,

I am quite new to car window tinting with only a few months experience here.

Just ran into a car with weather shield on the front side door windows like below:

http://www.ebay.com....8#ht_1432wt_952

I do cutting on the window (mark the two sides and cut them on the transfer board and cut the top edge by roll down the window a bit and cut along the top edge).

I also do the wet heat shrinking on the outside of the window before applying it.

But with this weather shield on, both cutting and shrink are made very hard (almost impossible if the shield is big).

Just wondering what you guys would do to overcome this? I thought about take them off but found it's glued on. Would it be any problems when I use some other super glue and stick them back?

Thanks guys! I did some search on the forum but can't find any thread talking about this.

Cheers

Guest toeknee22

most of the vent visors are two sided taped on and are carefully and easily removed. you can buy different width 3m tape at any auto parts store and just replace it with new. the newer style ones are just slid into the window channel.

goodness....put the film on and roll the window down to cut the top and upper sides.....I use a sharpie to make my side marks and then cut it oversized.

Only ones that are totally a pain are the "bubble" ones and sometimes the ones that come all the way down on the front, but they usually are not taped....

most of the vent visors are two sided taped on and are carefully and easily removed. you can buy different width 3m tape at any auto parts store and just replace it with new. the newer style ones are just slid into the window channel.

better to just leave them on. these can crack very easily. not worth the risk. just roll the window down a little more and be careful the tint doesnt fall off the window.

Guest iChoice-Tint

goodness....put the film on and roll the window down to cut the top and upper sides.....I use a sharpie to make my side marks and then cut it oversized.

Only ones that are totally a pain are the "bubble" ones and sometimes the ones that come all the way down on the front, but they usually are not taped....

Thanks for replying, the one I ran into the other day is bubble one as you said (big on, come all the way down on the front) and its screwed and taped. Luckily, the passenger side doesn't have it. so I double cut on the passenger side, no issue here. But I can't shrink it on the driver side, did try the float shrinking method, but not so successful, ended up with a lot finger bubbles on the bottom.

I think I will just go by some 3M tapes and remove it next time as next level Ridez said.

Guest iChoice-Tint

better to just leave them on. these can crack very easily. not worth the risk. just roll the window down a little more and be careful the tint doesnt fall off the window.

I agree with you for the narrow ones, but for some wide ones, how would you do it?

I agree with you for the narrow ones, but for some wide ones, how would you do it?

never ran into the bigger ones. id probably let the customer know that I may or may not crack the shield and wont replace if I do or tell them they need to be removed before I can install tint. sounds bad but those things are just a pain in the ass and ive cracked one before.

The only ones I ever ran into issues with was the ones on a ford ranger , dayum I hated when my film slid when rolling the window back up :lol

Using a plotter, this is no longer an issue , but before I did, unless it was the kind that just snapped out, I would never take them out, I'm not retaping any ones else aftermarket rain guard.

Guest fogged306

Thanks for replying, the one I ran into the other day is bubble one as you said (big on, come all the way down on the front) and its screwed and taped. Luckily, the passenger side doesn't have it. so I double cut on the passenger side, no issue here. But I can't shrink it on the driver side, did try the float shrinking method, but not so successful, ended up with a lot finger bubbles on the bottom.

I think I will just go by some 3M tapes and remove it next time as next level Ridez said.

I don't shrink about 99% of side windows. If you distribute the tension relatively evenly through all 4 sides and use firm pressure on the squeegee, you won't have fingers pop up on the side windows.