Florida Tint Laws, Do I Have Them Correct?

Guest elopomorph

Guest elopomorph

I live in Florida and plan on getting my windows re-tinted this summer. I purchased the car used and it has crappy tint on it.

I have been reading old posts and can you tell me if I have the Florida tint laws correct? I have a 2004 toyota corolla four door S model. Here is what I believe to be the legal tint limits for Florida:

Two back windows and rear window: 15%.

Front side windows = 28%

So does 28% mean it allows 28% of the light to penetrate the window?

Also, I have a kid and safety is my number one priority. I want to get the darkest tint that is legal but not if it will make it more difficult for me to see cars. I would like to hear opinions on this topic. Thanks.

You are correct on your FL laws. I used to apply 30% and it would meter "technically" below legal limit usually around 24-27% but most officers will allow a 5% variance. If you want to be absolutely safe just go with 35%. edit: yes I live in Knoxville but just moved here 18 months ago from Southwest FL fyi

"Technically" the meter requires a 3 percent variable that every cop has to give you cuz the meter itself has a plus or minus 3 percent variance. I use 30 percent on fronts and it reads around 26 percent, which is legal because of the 3 percent variable they they HAVE to give you, this isn't up to the cop, this is what the people who make the meter say. Same thing for 15 percent, the law here is 16, and with the variable it can still be illegal, but that's what every one does down here and the cops don't seem to have a problem with it.

Archived