Here in Utah and in other states around the country it is illegal to cover the 3rd brake light.

Intricate cuts that are smaller than just out lining the whole brake light look a lot nicer.

To achieve this on some cars the the rear deck needs to be removed.

I think it would be nice if people would list the year, make & model of the cares that the have come across which have rear decks that need to be removed to take out the 3BL

I'll compile the list and submit it as an article.

It would make for nice quick reference guide.

Possible add any tips that make the car you list easier to get the deck out. hidden tabs or special screw etc that you have come across

This is the type of intricate cut outs im talking about. This is small but legal. Pay attention to the small white-ish part in front of the 3BL

post-33201-0-28207600-1330644089.jpg

This is the type of cut out I want to avoid

post-33201-0-99945800-1330643835.jpg

Click here to view the article

post-33201-0-99945800-1330643835.jpg

post-33201-0-28207600-1330644089.jpg

ive had a customer tell me that they wouldnt pass inpection because we tinted over the 3rd brake light.

In some states its true. It all depends on where you get your inspection done.

I've had my car since 2006 and I've been failed for the side windows before but it was only this past October that I was failed for the 3BL being covered for the first time. They are a good reputable shop, but too reputable. lol. I'm never going there again.

I refuse to drive a car with a cut out. So I looked up the laws in Utah and found out that if you have something blocking your 3BL you must have a can have a "surrogate" light to replace the blocked light

The main rule was that it need to be at least 18'' of the ground and on the center line of the care went to Wal-Mart bought a cheap little of oval light from the auto department. wired it to my 3BL and used double sided velcro to stick it on the glass in front of my brake light.

I printed out the law to take with me just in case and took my car to get re-inspected.

The guy walked out look at it laughed and said, "I've never seen that before in my life, but it works" and passed me.

Right in front of them I pulled my light of threw it in the trunk (for next year) and drove off.

Do you mean to tell me you cant get that nicer cut done without removeing the package tray!? Please tell me your not trying to cut that little space out in the car!! :hmmm

Dont get me wrong some do have to come out, but not just for your third brake light opening. Ive done quite a few of those nicer openings at the request of the customer and they lay out just fine without removal.

Archived