2010 Altima

NvrLate

Had one of these come in today, sure enough the peanuts were the only problem. What a way to make an otherwise easy car take way too long. I had one come in a week ago from the body shop with an a/m rear glass and what a difference, No probs whatsoever on that one. Custy hung out and watched me knock it out and was down the road in a jif.

I've read other posts about 000 sanding, the shrink technique, using the right film, and I even use a clear max to really force the stuff down. Finally ended up doing a few relief cuts after a few hrs in the sun. Anybody else come up with a failproof method to knock these out with no issues?

Oh..let me add that I use the H and soap it dry, then wet check right before my final cut. Someone on here said to only tack the sides, but I don't like the results I get during a dry shrink if its not tacked across the middle of the glass, side to side. Seems like without the traditional H, or maybe a horizontal only, that the middle portion will bow up, like the old Camaros and Firebirds used to, then it wont lay down for the wet check.

on the video of "the ryk shrink" TOTW here, I am shrinking one of these or a previous year at least and you can see my way of shrinking this and most glasses. I don't have problems with puckers or fingers very often and never on one of these.

Thanks Ryk, I'll have to give that double-gun trick a whirl. Looks like a quick way to shrink any glass.

I heard you saying in the video that you were smearing Film-On onto the glass ..is the Film-on straight-up undiluted on a rag, then just leave the glass damp and get to shrinking? Or do you let haze up?

Ive always done it dry, and rarely run into any issues as far as shrinking. But always willing to try somthing new. :D

Guest benski

sand defrost lines with 2000 grit wet/dry sandpaper( spray back glass first )... I use 3m.. I use llumar at work, and EWF on the side... both stick really well if I sand the back glass... really all you need to sand is where the lines start to curve up on the edges of the glass on both sides.. thats where you will get the peanuts, but I sand the whole back glass... I use a orange crush and a blue max... orange crush is more firm and gets more water out..

Archived