what plotter size to buy for best PPF yield?

Guest logar

Guest logar

New to the forums and working on getting a new PPF instalation company started and was wondering what size plotter you would recommend that would give me the best nestablility and yield of the kits per roll.

I am leaning towards getting a Graphtec FC8000 just not sure if the 100 size or 130 is the better one to pruchase. the 100 will take a 48" wide roll with a cut area of 42" and I believe, the 130 will take up to a 60" wide roll I think with a 54" wide cut area.

or, is it better to get a smaller one?

havent narrowed in on a specific cut program so haven't been able to look at cut program files and try and rearrange and modify the programs for best nesting and yield. I know the DAP program by Xpel is best but don;t think I can afford that right from the start. Leaning towards maybe the Suntek program or the Enpro version. still researching but just wanted to give you an idea of what I was leaning towards.

any help would be appreciated.

thanks,

Guest Invisibra.net

I would say if you are going to get a Graphtec fc8000- 100 or 130, just get the 160 and handle ANYTHING. You are already decent bucks into a plotter that will cut 48", so just get the 60, and handle any width of film available. (Till they produce 72" wide film...) A lot of fenders are really close to 60" from door to headlight, or maybe just a bit smaller. It's nice nesting 2 fenders crosswise on a 60" roll, & hardly wasting any film at all. On the other hand, cutting a 32" tall fender on a 36" roll of film, you are probably going to throw away a lot more film, even nesting the mirrors, and headlights into the wheel opening space. Just my thoughts.

The cool thing about the Suntek software, is that it shows what percentage of the film you are going to use. So if you spin and adjust the pieces around with your nesting, and you take it from 60% film used to 80%, it's pretty sweet knowing you got the extra 20% usage for free.

I had a Graphtec FC8000-160, but sold it because I never used it.

But, now with the affordable suntek software, I am using the plotter more and more. (I bought a Graphtec FC 7000-160 for cheap) I'll take a fender pattern, blow it up by 2" in every direction, and still bulk it on the car, but I was able to nest things really tight, for very little film waste.

Pro-tect mobile came by to cut a pattern or two on my plotter. Which one do you like working with more Thom?

Edited by Invisibra.net

Well I have to say I like my plotter better but thats because I know it better. Your is nice and had I got it from the go I would be happy with it. I have a Roland GX-400 and it works like a champ. Never had an issue with it.... knock on wood. I do like both software programs... I ma more familiar with Enpros... and its free. The Suntek software is really good but I havent figured out how to rotate the pieces once they are nested. I will have to get you to show me that Norm when I come by next time. I will say that between the two programs I have every patten I need.... and dont have to pay $300 a month to use them.... which really doesnt make sense if you bulk most of your cars.

Guest Invisibra.net

To rotate the patterns in Trucut, just click down in the 'cut box' on the pattern you are rotating and then when you run your mouse over the pattern, a little rounded arrow appears in the top right corner of the pattern. Click and hold that while moving the mouse and it rotates. However, if it rotates out of the "Cut box" box area, or onto another pattern, it will ignore your attempt to rotate. So you gotta drag that pattern off to the right a bit, & then you can rotate it without interference, etc.

New to the forums and working on getting a new PPF instalation company started and was wondering what size plotter you would recommend that would give me the best nestablility and yield of the kits per roll.

I am leaning towards getting a Graphtec FC8000 just not sure if the 100 size or 130 is the better one to pruchase. the 100 will take a 48" wide roll with a cut area of 42" and I believe, the 130 will take up to a 60" wide roll I think with a 54" wide cut area.

or, is it better to get a smaller one?

havent narrowed in on a specific cut program so haven't been able to look at cut program files and try and rearrange and modify the programs for best nesting and yield. I know the DAP program by Xpel is best but don;t think I can afford that right from the start. Leaning towards maybe the Suntek program or the Enpro version. still researching but just wanted to give you an idea of what I was leaning towards.

any help would be appreciated.

thanks,

I would say buy the FC8000-100 if you are looking to keep your costs down and if you are primarily going to be installing basic coverage rather than full hoods. It will be able to cut out just about any of the full fender kits out there. However, if you are going to be doing a lot of full hoods, go for the FC8000-160 like Norm mentioned. The FC8000-130 will be a bad size, being that you won't be able to cut 60" hood kits.

Let us know if you are interested in a Graphtec and we can check if there are any promotions going on this month!

Roland gx-400 series or a 40" Graphtech are going to be your best bet. Most everyones PPF patterns fit on 12/18/24/30/48/60 rolls. If you are not doing a lot of full hoods and fenders that require 48/60 rolls. Even if you do one once in a while, you can order that precut kit or bulk film from just about any of us.

Hi, I have just got a Summacut d160 (60") after using a D140 (48") for the last 5 years, I would have gone for the 160 in the beginning but at the time 48" was the widest film on the market. The plotter cuts to about 58.5 inches, so makes the most of the wider film, I can't see the point in having a plotter that leaves 6" of film going to waste. You really have to look at what sort of market you are aiming for but be aware that you will probably find yourself cutting bigger and bigger kits so unless you want to buy another plotter in a few years go as big as you can afford.

Steve

On 5/16/2012 at 11:48 PM, Guest Invisibra.net said:

I would say if you are going to get a Graphtec fc8000- 100 or 130, just get the 160 and handle ANYTHING. You are already decent bucks into a plotter that will cut 48", so just get the 60, and handle any width of film available. (Till they produce 72" wide film...) A lot of fenders are really close to 60" from door to headlight, or maybe just a bit smaller. It's nice nesting 2 fenders crosswise on a 60" roll, & hardly wasting any film at all. On the other hand, cutting a 32" tall fender on a 36" roll of film, you are probably going to throw away a lot more film, even nesting the mirrors, and headlights into the wheel opening space. Just my thoughts.

The cool thing about the Suntek software, is that it shows what percentage of the film you are going to use. So if you spin and adjust the pieces around with your nesting, and you take it from 60% film used to 80%, it's pretty sweet knowing you got the extra 20% usage for free.

I had a Graphtec FC8000-160, but sold it because I never used it.

But, now with the affordable suntek software, I am using the plotter more and more. (I bought a Graphtec FC 7000-160 for cheap) I'll take a fender pattern, blow it up by 2" in every direction, and still bulk it on the car, but I was able to nest things really tight, for very little film waste.

Pro-tect mobile came by to cut a pattern or two on my plotter. Which one do you like working with more Thom?

Hello would you recommend the fc9000 series?