Why is this "ryk shrink" kicking my ass? '00-'05 LeSab

bobwires

Well I'm a tenacious sumbich..... I got it done in 2 pieces the next day.

It was p1ss1ng me off, since I have done worse glass before. I'm just WAY out of practice on these rough windows. I did those tough shrinks at Stan's school last summer

Bottom line, the Ryk Shrink is only working for me on easy glass. I cannot stop overshrinking on a tough one like this.

Any insight for me?

thanks

you have to move the heating area very quickly. The film shrinks so much faster with the heat underneath. If you have time hit a pocket and get it started shrinking then take both guns away and watch it shrink a little bit farther just from being heated up.....

You don't need a ton of heat under. I have effectively used a hair dryer under one time just for giggles. Get the under gun close enough to hold the film off the glass and then move the over gun quickly. Watch the film and it will talk to you about how you need to work the guns.

Stan can't get my shrink down, but he does teach it as "The Ryker Method"....

Thanks Ryker

Stan wasn't teaching your method when I was there, I picked it up from your video. I understand the concept, it's the execution that is so tough :D

I was definintely putting too much heat over, since it was overshrinking, but when I tried to taper it back the film just didn't want to move..... On your video the film went down FAST. I was expecting it to drop down to the glass, and then as I move the gun in closer it finally does. After about 30 seconds I have it mostly shrunk, but it was so overshrunk along the start of my shrinking area that the bottom was impossible, and the fingers would have been brutal....

Do you have any tough glass coming in soon? You game for another video?

let me ask you this, what are you calling tough glass? For me the harder ones would be the 2 door Cobalt, Pontiac G5, or a 2 door Dodge Stratus. I tried to do an Eclipse for a friends shop and failed to get it in one piece....so he got educated on how to do a 2 piece which helped him a bit later.....

I hardly ever have any real hard windows. I can NOT do a VW bug with my shrink and don't do them in one piece either. I have in times past, but not anymore. 2 piece and out the door....

let me ask you this, what are you calling tough glass? For me the harder ones would be the 2 door Cobalt, Pontiac G5, or a 2 door Dodge Stratus. I tried to do an Eclipse for a friends shop and failed to get it in one piece....so he got educated on how to do a 2 piece which helped him a bit later.....

I hardly ever have any real hard windows. I can NOT do a VW bug with my shrink and don't do them in one piece either. I have in times past, but not anymore. 2 piece and out the door....

I hear ya. I'm going to do 2 piece on the rough ones when I see them coming.

This '05 Buick was tough, and I also couldn't make your technique work on an '04 Subaru wagon hatch

Archived