People don't talk about 3M film enough on here, and a lot of people use it and need tips. So I thought I would start with their Crystalline (ceramic) line. A lot of their films are not user friendly but from my experience it performs the best. I have yet to ever ever have anyone come back b/c a 3m has failed.

With their ceramic line the biggest thing is the color will come right off so instead of scratching it there will be a scratch and a line of no color. Just be extra careful when using not to crease and if you get a small one make sure you but a paper towel over the card you are using to take it out. Then there can be ghosting try no to wet shrink and be gentle when shrinking out. I tried to tint a GTI with this stuff and it seemed impossible I ended up 2 piecing it. Hope this helps someone. And if anyone has any pointers I would love to hear them

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest VaTinterPMan

Check with 3M, but I believe Crystalline is not a ceramic film. There is no ceramic ingredient in it.

:bingo It is not Ceramic...its has over 200 different pieces of film/tint that they call something else ( optical Film ) but that is pretty much what it is.... They have a ceramic film though on there web page now...Don't know about it really if someone is using it let us know...

Ceramic materials have a crystalline or partly crystalline structure, or may be amorphous. Because most common ceramics are crystalline, the definition of ceramic is often restricted to inorganic crystalline materials, as opposed to the noncrystalline glasses. Just a little research I will talk to 3m rep tomorrow to get to the bottom of that. So everyone will stop ripping me a new one for trying to help people that use tintdude for pointers

Guest VaTinterPMan

I just don't believe its ceramics...But with this post, Yes 3M is not very user friendly when it comes to heat shrinking I believe...I was tinting for about 5 years and the first time I tried using 3M I couldnt shrink it own my own 2 door camry...Its not a hard back window by any means... other than that it is pretty simply the same as any other film....wet shrinking is still the same and so on...I dont like the clarity of it myself...

Plus I put the video out there so other people who read this post consumers as well will get a little information about the film and why its different...

Archived