? about heat rejection in winter

I was wondering this myself and I had a customer/friend of mine ask me "why would I want to block heat out in the winter"? I've tinted two of his vehicles and quoted a few windows for his home on the lake. The question was more pointed towards his home windows. How do I answer that question? I know some films absorb and reflect. Will the films that absorb bring in the heat during the cold months? Thanks again.

You should stay away from high absorption films, especially for winter months and east or southeast exposure. Asking for glass breakage/seal failure problems. Whenever I have a customer that likes the heat in the winter then I try to push them towards a middle ground film with a little higher VLT. Usually in the 50% range of VLT and/or TSER. I find this to be a trade off from winter to summer months.

The enerlogic film that Tom is referring to works more as an insulator but not exactly. The idea behind that film is similar to Low-E coatings in that it reflects radiant heat created in the house (or from the solar energy that makes it through the film) and reflects in back into the space. But in your area this could have an adverse effect in the summer months.

I'm sure some could offer more info and correct any inconsistency I may have provided.

I just did an EA for a medium commercial building and was asked why there gas bill would increase ...my answer in a nutshell was "Your summer savings is 14X what the winter hit is and your ROI is 2 years " he answered "where do I sign"

Archived