Johnson Renegade vs. Suntek CXP, Audi

Guest Brozee

Hello all,

Glad to join the forums. Seems like you all know your stuff.

My situation:

Recently purchased a 2007 Audi A8L W12, black exterior, black leather interior. Current car is a silver 05 a8 with 5% rear tint and 35 front (not sure which brand). From what I've been told the rear window is very difficult due to a small working area due to the rear sunshade location. Been calling around reputable shops around me to see which one I want to use to tiny my new W12. Most likely I will go with 5% in the rear and 20% up front (I know about tint laws btw). On a black car with black leather as the background info which tint would be a better choice of quality or looks? I do care about heat rejection but more about the overall look of the tint as well as the durability and resistance to scratching. One shop near me offers 3M film as well as Johnson Renegade; being the upgraded film and costing $325 for the whole car minus windshield. The other shop offers three different tiers, don't remember the beginning one, but the middle tier is Suntek CXP for $350 for the car, and their top of the line is Huper Optik $525!!. Been debating between which is a better choice for me and my car; between the Suntek CXP and the Johnson Renegade, as I don't believe that the Huper Optik Ceramic the shop offers is dark enough of a ting (30% darkest) and the cost of it is the other thing detouring me away.

If you guys could post your experience with either film and/or which one you prefer over the other and why, it would really help me out.

Will post pictures after I decide based upon your reviews/experiences.

Thanks all!

Guest VaTinterPMan

Well, Johnson Renegade is not going to be much Heat Rejection compared to the CXP...The 5% for Renegade is 43% TSER and the 20% Renegade blocks 39% TSER..The CXP 5% is 60% TSER and 20% for CXP is 56% TSER. If that has anything to do with it for you....

Now to the Films....Johnson Window Films are very good. And have been around the longest I think if not the longest....Suntek Is a great film too....You mentioned Scratching....Every Film Will Scratch, how much it will take for it to scratch depends....But Suntek did have a Issue with there Film Scratching very easy on install but I am sure it has been taken care of.....

No to the Huper Optik, I just received samples on them and hopefully will try there film out, But The Up-sale price is worth it.....The 30% they offer will block more heat than the darkest of any other film!! The TSER% is 63% on that film..Also blocking 86% infrared Light....But just my opinion.....You should ask if they will do the Front windshield also for that price.....with a 70%....

In the long wrong....Huper Optik is well worth the price....CXP is also a decent film most people say and has a good color.

Thank you for the reply! But as you stated huper optik doesn't make a dark film that is like a limo tint correct?

So in my position if it were your money if the huper doesn't make one dark enough, would you go with the suntek or Johnson? What I took from your reply is that the suntek makes an edge ahead.

Guest VaTinterPMan

Your right I would go with Suntek CXP over That brand of JWF. But you can do this....Go with CXP 5% on the back if you must and do Huper Optik on the sides in 30%, That is a Idea you can think about.... And I just looked at your laws in Michagen and your Front Windows can only have a 4inch strip on them...but you can what you want that on you....The 30% Huper would actually be around 25% - 23% with the glass just to let you know....

CXP 18 measures at 16% so it is going to be around 10% with that on the glass....FYI just to let you know.....

And the CXP Black might be a better color black....Hold them side by side the 5% and the 20% just to see what color you like more...

Guest VaTinterPMan

yeah it does matter.....Or at least I am 95% sure....but some guys that do Flat Glass Dual Pane windows will have to tell you whats safe to put on there....I dont know or dont think automotive film is ok for them :twocents IMO

And the reason for tint being darker on the windows is cause Glass already blocks a certain amount of light..Say around 10% to 30% and that would make the glass 90% to 70% and when you add on 16% film it comes out too....... .70 x .16 = .11% so that is 11% if its 90% glass it would be .90 x .16 = .14 so 14%

Guest VaTinterPMan

And if its dual Pane its blocks more......But actually you just might have Laminated Glass....Look as the glass and if it says that on every window you are ok....The only thing is the person tinting can't get the back window to hot when he is heat shrinking it..... FYI

Archived