• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The leading cause of spikes in oil /gas prices, is the fact that it is traded as a commodity and can be manipulated by individuals with large positions to move in and out of their positions. Traders look for vehicles to pump and dump in large blocks to gain profits. As a whole the world economy is not strong, however oil " demand " is up.... Imagine how high it will go if and when there is real legitimate demand and the world economy is actually in growth.

I love discussing my old stomping ground.

You bring up a great point TomTint. Commodity manipulators do play a part but I would not say it is as big as media wants to make it out to be. World oil demand is up even with a weaker world stage. One just has to factor the massive amount of development happening in India & China to see where oil prices are headed. They are getting a taste of Western life and are hungry for it. There is no stopping the development of what the people are going to "want" in the years to come. Yes not everyone has a life like we do here but you don't need their whole population to own a vehicle in those countries to see how they could have an insatiable appetite for fuels. Those countries also have the issue that they are not large oil producers. Russia a big oil producer is next door but that is another relatively unstable mafia crap shoot.

This is one big reason why something like the Canadian pipeline from the oil sands being built to the USA is a bit of a homeland security issue. The world is not a utopia. China ultimately has different goals than America. Canada is already being swayed with big dollars to build pipelines over the mountains to British Columbia seaports. The oil would then be headed straight to Asia. Once the tap truly opens that way it will not be coming south. This is also a big issue in Alberta with China pushing hard for purchasing stakes in the oil sands of Alberta. We either make commanding moves to "keep the oil local" or we will lose it.

Mark my words, petroleum and water will be what massive wars will be fought over in the future. We have not even scratched the surface with the unrest in the Middle East. We have a neighbor that is vastly rich in both (Canada) so why in the hell would we turn our nose to them so we can pander to a small group of radical environmentalists?

A key to staying or being ahead of those countries will be to develop known American reserves to break from dependence on true foreign oil sources. I would not consider Canada and Mexico foreign on this stage. If we are to do this properly then it will fuel domestic job growth, tip the scale of import vs export of oil, add to debt reduction, and fund alternative energy platforms. By cutting big oil with a big stick at this point to fund the alternative energy platforms is putting the cart before the horse. The government does need to get its royalties on domestic oil up but also needs to allow big oil to capture more of the resource through exploration. At this point it is a race to get the USA balance to using alternative fuels and sell the oil on the world market thus one upping them.

In many ways Brazil has this pattern right. Get to a point where you use natural gas domestically (which is cheap & plentiful) while you sell off high priced oil supplies.

Here are some interesting figures to show a comparison of world production vs USA production.

Global

Global1.png

US

US2.png

US vs Global

USGlobal3.png

I'm staying out of this one :D

Absolutely, me too... the internet and reality TV seems to have caused memory lapses in people. When I was young I learned from the grown-ups that you should never speak of politics, religion and s*x in public and be very guarded in private (friends) gathering because you can alienate and divide (as we bear witness in our society today).

Remembering back a few years ago someone in this forum accused me of being anti-christian during an apparent religion or religious discussion; a friend of mine from Germany seeing this accusation chimed in and said that I wasn't anti-christian, I was anti-bigotry. Outspoken at times but learning serves very well not to repeat.

Those three topics are as personal to each individual as their genital size. :thumb

If you haven't looked at the other candidate on the ballot, I suggest you do, this year is a 3 way race in all states. Those of you who don't like Romney or Obama, I guarantee the 3rd choice will be more palatable.

uja6e3u5.jpg

I agree Gary would be the better guy, however, if you vote for him, you are just casting a vote for Obama.

Take a look at what happened in Florida during the 2000 election. Gore actually won the popular vote, but only because Republicans went in two different directions, writing in another name. Democrats win elections, or have solid voting turn-outs because they vote for the democrat. Say what you want about Bush, but this a prime example of what could happen in this election.

All Im saying is, if you vote for Gary to feel good about the way you voted, you know damn well he wont be elected. If you really want Obama out of office, you will vote wisely.

Also, the saying of "I'd rather have 4 more years of Obama than 8 of Romney" is foolish as well. While Romney is far from being what Republicans want, he stands on leaving it up to the States to make there own decisions. You could argue about Mitts healthcare reform and how is the "baby" of Obamacare, but he did this on the state level, and would never consider it a federal topic, forcing the nation to follow suit.

Libertarians and republicans should take a look at what the democrats are doing. They dont back down. They are speak out on what they believe and will do whatever it takes to get their guy in.

The point is, at least for next time, DO something about it, and stop watching and complaining about the outcome (this isnt directed to you personally The///Man).

Is it any wonder why threads like this get so heated? Maybe not so much on this forum, but if you go to Craigslist and click on politics forum, the democrats are spreading their message, and they are damn good at it.

Speak up! Take a Sunday and you yourself hit the streets and register people to vote. Democrats do, they do it everyday.

Archived