LOW E FILM?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Residential code requirements vary from state to state. Most new building permits require a mass check. This is the formula the building department uses to insure the new structure meets the designated energy codes. Up here they are looking at the U value incorporated into the glazing system.

The customer originally was asking about an R rating. The windows she has have a sticker certifying them of U rating currently of .49. Need to edumacate myself on this cause right now I'm clueless

Uvalue is basically the r rating of glass. Just deals with different factors.

I had a project very similar to yours and after going around and around from GC to film reps to city inspection I could not get a straight answer from one that was good enough for another so the project was scrapped and new glass was bought. I know that a product out their would get it to where it needed to be but nobody wanted to sign off on it. Good luck, if you or anybody else finds a way to push it through let me know.

''Double glaze"

ok so you need to know the make up of the double glazed unit.example 3mm float 10mm air space 3mm flaot.

what type window?timber aluminium? pvc?

brand of window and if has been tested with that double glazed panel.

if it is commercial frame whos section is it?

if you find this out you should be able to find out there current ratings

The customer originally was asking about an R rating. The windows she has have a sticker certifying them of U rating currently of .49. Need to edumacate myself on this cause right now I'm clueless

That is the u-value for dual-pane clear so the answer is in any mannies lowE may bring it to 40, but Enerlogic without a doubt (like others have said) will meet what is asked for with a u-value of .34.

I am going to see if I can get a lil better info on this. I am using(or plan to) jwf dn 20. I have been told it has a U rating of 1.08. My customers glass has U rating of. 49. The windows are vinyl frame double glaze. Clear Lake glass with internal muntins. Don't worry know what that means but it's on the label which I have am attempting to post a picture. The make up of the windows is 1/8 inch thickness of panes with 1/2 inch spacing between the two. The customer seems to think because the codes inspector told her she is doing the right thing and as long as I slap a number less than .40 on her receipt everything will be fine, but I want to be correct for myself and have some type of formula to show how I came up with a number and not just pull something out of thin air?? So thanks for reading this "book" I just typed out and any help will be greatly appreciated. y6evaqe8.jpg

If I'm not mistaken, in order to get a "NFRC" rating doesn't the film and glass have to be tested coinciding. Any thing beyond is a calculated rating. Atleast this seemed to be the hold up when it came to the projects I've had trouble with. :dunno

Hope some of the technical guys will chime in on this.....

The numbers on the label indicate high performanc lowE unit; the only thing again that will bring a combination film/glass to 40 or below is a lowE film (that is NFRC rated). Can't speak for any anal architect, GM or engineers as to film/glass having NFRC rating; ask them if they care to pay the fee to get the rating for both and I suppose the NFRC would still get a good chuckle out of it because it's already there through calculations using the window rating and film rating.

That's what I could never get a straight answer on. If you have two products with an "NFRC" rating but can't get approval. Smartie do you know what the formula would be to calculate ending uvalue? Or is it something that must be "modeled/simulated" ? I've hit dead ends on this, but it appears you know the route.....

Archived