Passing up a job due to health reasons.....

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Malcolm E Boo

You can always hire installers :thumb

:bingo

Never turn a job away. You can always get some subcontractors in.

You may make a little less money but you will still make some and all you have to do is inspect the job when it is finished, pay the installers and on you go to the next job.

We all deal with pain of some sort. It's part of life. I have separated cartilaige in my left shoulder and tinting is not fun at times. Just a simple cough can aggrevate the pain but you just push on. I had a bad (stupid) atv accident and slipped 3 discs in my back and those act up from time to time. When I hit 30 I wondered how am I going to continue tinting. As I approach my 40's the future in this biz scares me. From years of tinting, audio installs and an auto tech for 10+ years prior to tinting I have severe carpal tunnel in my hands yet I still play video games when I get home heh. Get some new shoes, man up and get er done!

Believe me, I am not just going to pass on the job... and it's easy, IMO, to say 'man up' and do it... which to some extent I agree with totally... but when I'm in so much pain that I can barely walk... It's not like I can just walk it off and it will get better as they lossen up. Unfortunately, it doesn't work like that anymore. It used to... when I was younger.. but the older I'm getting, the worse it gets. The bones in my feet have been cut and fused together so many times....................

My goal is to get the biz to where I don't have to install... I can just go out and sell and manage... but I'm not there yet.

All my life I've had to deal with it... and I'd just work thru it in order to do what I was doing... those days are gone. I don't do a lot of things because it's not worth it anymore. I just do other things that I enjoy just as much. (I used to ski all the time... now I'd rather enjoy the sun on a beach in Maui!)

So we'll see... I'm just taking it one step at a time. heh... I gotta talk to the guy on Monday about the job.. get a time table to begin.. and then start.

Originally, I thought it would be a straight thru job.. like 6 weeks or something.. which at the end I was going to take a vaca to Maui probably. But now it looks like it's going to be spread out over months and months..... so not sure how well my vacation plans will fit in to it all. :(

That has cross my mind as well.... but there really isn't anything I'd like to rather do. Which I know might sound odd to some... but I really enjoy the whole thing. I like meeting new people.. I enjoy, for the most part, selling... and I like installing.

I used to be in IT.. sitting at a desk. Easier on my feet, but I hated it.

I think if I got things to where I didn't have to actually install on large jobs, I'd be ok. Which I could just focus on smaller jobs, but from a biz pov, that's not the way to grow a business and be profitable.

Guest thatsnappyguy

No, you know the industry so just do what you can to stay in. This issue with your feet could be the driving force behind you making the big move to management and walk away from installing. Its more of a forced move than a choice anyway so what do you have to loose. You could just sit back and facilitate it all as a contractor. From my experience with facilitators in this industry, you would most likely be easier for installers to work with since you actually know what you are doing on the estimates.

Hey Roach.

I'm in "free agency" nowadays as a hired gun on large projects. The hours can be brutal.

I literally took 2 days off in September.

A project like that can be very rewarding to complete.

I have heard folks who have been through surgery with no good results

just RAVE about custom orthodics. Places like the good feet store let you

try it out before you leave. Worth a shot, IMO.

Best of luck.

It's a tough call for anyone beyond yourself to make Roach. Pain is personal, we all have our own thresholds and limits.

I agree with many of the guys though, you have options, maybe it's time you explored those a little deeper.

By the sounds of it it's a problem that isn't going to go away, so try to find a way to work around it rather than aggravate it. A little adjustment now, could lead to a more comfortable future. :twocents

Archived