Windshields???

Guest VaTinterPMan

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest VaTinterPMan

How does the vehicle pass inspection with the windshield tinted?

It used to be that a inspector could fail the car for tint being to dark only on the Driver and Pass. windows.....Or writing on the Visors ( Eyebrow ) But now that has been done away with.....The State thinks they can get more money from giving people tickets for illegal tint than paying the 16 bucks for a State inspection.

Thats how that works...I know in N.C. that they fail them for being to dark.....But like I said in VA now they can't fail it even if they wanted to cause of the law change...

How does the vehicle pass inspection with the windshield tinted?

It used to be that a inspector could fail the car for tint being to dark only on the Driver and Pass. windows.....Or writing on the Visors ( Eyebrow ) But now that has been done away with.....The State thinks they can get more money from giving people tickets for illegal tint than paying the 16 bucks for a State inspection.

Thats how that works...I know in N.C. that they fail them for being to dark.....But like I said in VA now they can't fail it even if they wanted to cause of the law change...

so what your saying is that tinting the WS is illegal but a vehicle with tint on the WS can still pass inspection. its a safety inspection right? so wouldnt tinting the ws fall under "unsafe"?

Guest carolina_shade

We use to have those inspection stickers on our cars in NC, they done away with them a few years ago.What I been told is that you have to get a Dr. to fill out a form for some medical reason to have your windshield tinted. You can have a strip placed across without Dr.note.

Like my Ford Fiesta has a huge windshield and I can really feel the heat coming in on me when driving and I am sure with more cars having larger windshields that law in NC will change if people complain or a flood of Dr. notes.

I will remember the tips given on how to put stickers on and off.

Guest Malcolm E Boo

I think the sticker is stupid...cops should be able to run the plate number and see if a driver is current with the inspection.

Just a thought

That is what happens here

I remember some one posting awhile back that they would peel the inspection sticker and laminate it between two pieces of PPF and it would stick to the film like a static decal. :dunno worth a shot.

This does work, I have used ppf in the same manor many x's.

Guest VaTinterPMan

Its hard to explain, I guess they don't care about film a all. anyways a car with 60% or even maybe 70% and up on the W/S you can't even tell its on there...Only us tinters ....

They are only checking brakes, lights, Horn, Tire Tread, Cracks in W/S and seats belts......maybe some other stuff too....Your car can have 5% all the way around and it still passes.....

the state would rather have a 100 dollar ticket than just 15 bucks for a Inspection.....

Oh yeah FYI all those stickers have certain numbers that correspond to a data base so they know if one is stolen or not...

Guest VaTinterPMan

They just added it this year, I'm sorry....Nothing lower than the AS-1 line....but also how I read it is if you have film failure and can't see you can fail for that...

The Required Official Inspection Procedure, as approved by the Virginia State Police Superintendent, is as follows:

REQUIRED OFFICIAL INSPECTION PROCEDURE

Each inspection consists of the following items – for further details consult the "

Official Annual Motor Vehicle Inspection Manual":

1. - REMOVE OLD INSPECTION STICKER.

2. - DRIVE VEHICLE INTO INSPECTION LANE.

3. - INSPECT BRAKES FOR:

• Worn, damaged or missing parts.
  • Worn, contaminated or defective linings or drums.
  • Leakage in system and proper fluid level.
  • Worn, contaminated or defective disc pads or disc rotors.
    (NOTE: A minimum of two wheels and drums must be removed from each vehicle at the time of inspection. Consult the “Official Motor Vehicle Safety Inspection Manual” for exceptions.)

4. - INSPECT PARKING BRAKE FOR:

• Broken or missing parts.
  • Proper adjustment.
  • Standard factory equipment or equivalent.

5. - INSPECT HEADLIGHTS FOR:

• Approved type, aim and output.
  • Condition of lamps, lenses, wiring and switch.
  • High beam indicator.

6. - INSPECT OTHER LIGHTS FOR:

• Approved type, proper bulbs, and condition of lenses, wiring and switch.
  • Aim of fog and driving lamps.
  • Illumination of all lamps and proper color of lenses.
    (NOTE: Every vehicle must have a rear lamp showing a red light to the rear, a white light illuminating the rear license plate; vehicles over 7 feet wide or extending 4 inches or more beyond the front fender extremes must be equipped with approved clearance lamps and reflex reflectors. (Include load when measuring.)

7. – INSPECT SIGNAL DEVICE FOR:

• Approved type, proper bulbs, and condition of lenses, wiring and switch.
  • Correct operation of device.
  • Illumination of all lamps and proper lens color.

8. – INSPECT STEERING & SUSPENSION FOR:

(Jack up front end as shown in “Official Motor Vehicle Safety Inspection Manual”.)

• Wear in bushings, kingpins, ball joints, wheel bearings and tie rod ends.
  • Looseness of gear box on frame, condition of drag link and steering arm.
  • Play in steering wheel; leakage of power steering fluid in the system.
  • Wheel alignment and axle alignment.
  • Broken coil springs, spring leaves and worn shackles.
  • Shock absorbers.
  • Broken or weakened frame.
  • Broken or missing engine mounts.
  • Lift blocks.

9. – INSPECT TIRES, WHEELS & RIMS FOR:

• Condition of tires including tread depth.
  • Mixing radials and bias ply tires.
  • Wheels that are cracked or damaged so as to affect safe operation.

10. – INSPECT MIRRORS FOR:

• Rigidity of mounting.
  • Condition of reflecting surface.
  • Check for road visibility 200 feet to the rear. (Truck mirrors must extend at least halfway beyond edge of body.)

11. – INSPECT HORN FOR:

• Electrical connections, mounting and horn button.
  • Emits sound audible for a minimum of 200 feet.

12. – INSPECT WINDSHIELD AND OTHER GLASS FOR:

• Approved type safety glass.
  • Cloudiness, distortion or other obstruction to vision.
  • Cracked, scratched or broken glass.
  • ALL UNAUTHORIZED STICKERS MUST BE REMOVED.
  • Sun shading material on windshield displaying words, lettering, numbers or pictures that does not extend below the AS-1 line is permitted. In the absence of an AS-1 line, sun shading material on the windshield displaying words, lettering, numbers or pictures cannot extend more than three inches downward from the top of the windshield, unless authorized by the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles and indicated on the vehicle registration.
  • Operation of left front door glass.

13. – INSPECT WINDSHIELD WIPER/DEFROSTER FOR:

• Operating condition.
  • Condition of wiper blades.

14. – INSPECT EXHAUST SYSTEM FOR:

• Exhaust line: manifold, gaskets, pipes, mufflers, connections, etc.
  • Leakage of gases at any point from engine to point discharged from system.

15. – INSPECT REAR LICENSE PLATE FOR:

• Illumination of rear plate.

16. – INSPECT HOOD AND AREA UNDER THE HOOD FOR:

• Operating condition of hood latch.
  • Presence of emissions system; evidence that any essential parts have been removed, rendered inoperative or disconnected.
  • Fluid levels that are below the proper level:
    (a) Brake fluid.
    (b) Power steering fluid.
  • Power steering belt; proper tension, wear or absence of belt.

17. – INSPECT AIR POLLUTION CONTROL SYSTEM OF 1973 AND SUBSEQUENT MODELS FOR:

• Installation.
  • No parts removed, disconnected or rendered inoperable.
    (NOTE: This includes the catalytic converter and the fuel tank filler pipe.)

18. – INSPECT DRIVER’S SEAT FOR:

• Anchorage.
  • Location.
  • Condition.

19. – INSPECT SEAT BELTS FOR:

• Approved type.
  • Installation.
  • Condition.

20. – INSPECT AIR BAG AND AIRBAG READINESS LIGHT FOR:

• Any defects in the air bag system noted by the air bag readiness light, or otherwise indicated; or
  • The air bag has been deployed and has not been replaced (and is not deactivated because of a medical or other exemption and a notice is posted to indicate that it has been deactivated); or
  • Any part of the air bag system has been removed from the vehicle; or
  • If the air bag indicator fails to light or stays on continuously.

21. – INSPECT DOORS AT THE RIGHT & LEFT SIDE OF THE DRIVER’S SEAT FOR:

• Handle or opening device which will permit the opening of the door from the outside and inside of the vehicle.
  • Latching system which will hold door in its proper closed position.

22. – INSPECT FUEL SYSTEM FOR:

• Any part that is not securely fastened.
  • Liquid fuel leakage.
  • Fuel tank filler cap for presence.

23. – INSPECT FLOOR PAN FOR:

• Holes which allow exhaust gases to enter occupant compartment.
  • Conditions which create a hazard to the occupants.

24. – ISSUE STICKER:

• If approved, place completed approval sticker on the vehicle and give the receipt of certificate to the operator.
  • ALL DEFECTS MUST BE CORRECTED AND THE VEHICLE REINSPECTED WITHIN 15 DAYS. THE DRIVER MAY BE SUBJECT TO RECEIVING A TRAFFIC SUMMONS FOR ANY DEFECT STILL PRESENT WHEN THE VEHICLE IS OPERATED ON THE HIGHWAY.

Archived