Tropical Storm/Hurricane Sandy

Guest VaTinterPMan

Guest VaTinterPMan

Conditions really starting to go down hill fast....Getting 50 mph gusts now They are Pretty far apart from each other but they come out of no where...

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest VaTinterPMan

A couple more Maps to show what is going on here...

This First Map shows all the storms Cat 1 and 2 in October from 1851 to 2011

at201218_climo.gif

This next one is a Satellite View of Cloud and Vapor

usa.jpg

This Last one shows Radar and How Big this storm is....It wont make landfall for another 24 hours and it is only 200 - 250 miles east on me right now....

20.jpg

Raining and windy here.. nothing crazy yet though. I gotta run out for a bit shortly....

The storm appears to have picked up speed - movement wise - which is good... the quicker it moves the sooner it will be gone. They are now showing it making landfall around 8-9pm instead of 2am...

Guest VaTinterPMan

Each Storm or Low has a pressure. Katrina's Pressure was only 981mb...The lower the pressure the worse the waves and Energy in the storm....It can do things out of the blue that are not expected...

The record low pressure that has stood for 200 years where I live is 966.4 in New york it is 961. So records that have stood for years are going to be broken by a lot...

Dictionary Explanation -

Hurricanes have very low pressures. The lower the pressure the more intense the storm is considered. The normal sea level pressure in the US is 1013.25 mb a hurricane's pressure drops much lower. The lowest hurricane pressure on record was not long ago, Hurricane Wilma in 2005 had a central pressure of 882 mb!!!! That is some serious low pressure. The max winds with Wilma were 175 mph. The Labor Day hurricane of 1935 had a low pressure of 892 mb and winds of 200 mph! While this hurricane had stronger winds, the lowest pressure wins out on the intensity scale.

Our lowest pressure here in SLC was the tax day storm in 2002, April 15th the pressure dropped to 29.00 inches of mercury. That equates to about 982 millibars! That's low. In the winter with big areas of high pressure we can have pressures as high as 1045 mb. The highest ever was about 1052.8 mb here in SLC.

Guest VaTinterPMan

Raining and windy here.. nothing crazy yet though. I gotta run out for a bit shortly....

The storm appears to have picked up speed - movement wise - which is good... the quicker it moves the sooner it will be gone. They are now showing it making landfall around 8-9pm instead of 2am...

It is pouring here....Winds around 40 and gusting to about 50 - 55. And this is still just the start of it....Once it gets close to land it is going to explode with Rain and Wind....Your Wind Roach should be later tonight....Are you any where close to the coast? With the storm surge I mean??

And once again Be Safe Everyone!!!

Guest VaTinterPMan

I'm a huge weather guru if you'll couldn't tell. When I was taking classes for Turf Management we had to take weather classes too, And I also had a teacher in high school that was a meteorologist and I learned a lot from him.

But the Latest Info now they are saying with the Storm growing and strengthening the worst winds now when it Comes ashore are predicted at 90 - 105 possible....So This is just getting worse worse as the storm gets closer....

They were just comparing it to Andrew and they Andrew was bad but it came and went quickly it wasn't a 48 - 72 hr ordeal. This is the first storm to hit the coast Perpendicular to pretty much create a 90 degree angle....

I guess if I had some Safety film this would be a good time to put it on, but to bad I don't....I might not ever need it again but after the weather this year we have had I think I might to be safe....So what safety film does everyone like??

Archived