Low E Glass Question

for eveyone who doesnt know this low e glass has a coating on it thats what makes it low e glass the protective coating if u tint low e glass its no longer low e glass the coating is destroyed

That's not entirely correct

Guest awesome window tinting

sorry tom this is direct from the manafacture i see you have hung a piece or two i had a job doing the job  this monday that has half low e glass and half tempered the low e glass is not getting done for this reason the job was 4200 in total but now doing it for only 1800 as low e glass will not be tinted i learnt this only last week myself y would the supplier lie to www.awesomewindowsolutions.com.au

Edited by awesome window tinting

Low e i simply an applied metal layer on glass.

Most often found on surfaces 2 or 3

2 surface in southern regions as to keep heat out.

3 surface in colder climates to limit heat loss. Like a low e film that is applied to the inside of glass which would be surface 4 on an IGU.

Use a lighter to check which surface and can often determine type of coating by color of flame. Can be on surface 4 too.

Low e does absorb more heat than clear glass. Much like a metal film. But you wouldnt necessarily lose all benefits of low e if tinted.

If you tinted a window with low e on surface 2. The low e coating would already be "emmiting" the heat back outward so theoretically you have benefited from low e before solar contact is made with the tint on surface 4. But you are also insulating the inside pane with a film to slow convective heat transfer. From whatever heat is absorbed by low e coating.

sorry tom this is direct from the manafacture i see you have hung a piece or two i had a job doing the job this monday that has half low e glass and half tempered the low e glass is not getting done for this reason the job was 4200 in total but now doing it for only 1800 as low e glass will not be tinted i learnt this only last week myself y would the supplier lie to www.awesomewindowsolutions.com.au

Are you tinting single pane windows or applying film directly onto the low E coated surface

for eveyone who doesnt know this low e glass has a coating on it thats what makes it low e glass the protective coating if u tint low e glass its no longer low e glass the coating is destroyed 

Hey Awesome,

It is not so much that the glass Hard coat LowE would be distroyed, it is more so the fact that it just many types of LowE coatings use the surface of the coating to reach it's performance peak. Adding an aftermarket coating of any kind (Other than a higher performing LowE film) will result in a higher rate of heat transfer, and in a way, ruin the performance of that glass. There is also the issue of if the film ever required removal, doing that without damaging the coating can be almost impossible.

Finding out which surface the coating is on and the type of glass is crucial. If your not completely sure.. Let it go..

BTW... Just a hint... Please don't try and take on Tom when it comes to installation knowledge..

Let's just say that he is at the top of the tinting tree so to speak. I know your father has been around a long time, but Tom is at a whole nother level.

Welcome to the forum mate! I'm lovin' the shameless plugs that you are giving me :lol

On 4/1/2014 at 2:53 AM, Glass Tinting Supplies said:

Hey Awesome,

It is not so much that the glass Hard coat LowE would be distroyed, it is more so the fact that it just many types of LowE coatings use the surface of the coating to reach it's performance peak. Adding an aftermarket coating of any kind (Other than a higher performing LowE film) will result in a higher rate of heat transfer, and in a way, ruin the performance of that glass. There is also the issue of if the film ever required removal, doing that without damaging the coating can be almost impossible.

Finding out which surface the coating is on and the type of glass is crucial. If your not completely sure.. Let it go..

BTW... Just a hint... Please don't try and take on Tom when it comes to installation knowledge..

Let's just say that he is at the top of the tinting tree so to speak. I know your father has been around a long time, but Tom is at a whole nother level.

Welcome to the forum mate! I'm lovin' the shameless plugs that you are giving me :lol

Yeah, Tom knows his stuff ...

And yes, putting tint on the lowE coating negates the lowE capabilities; however, this only applies to single pane lowE.

There's a trick using a cigarette lighter. Flick the Bic lighter and look for the color variation in one of the flame reflections. The color tells you type of metal used for the coating and the reflection that is colored tells you which surface the coating is on.

Edited by Tintguy1980
spelling