Bubbles on new tint

Guest schnappi

You show me a window tinter that thinks he turns out perfect work on a daily basis.

I'll show you a window tinter that's full of s***.

Nothing in life is perfect if you look hard enough you can find an imperfection in anything.

Well of course. But there are also standards that we work by, standards that are passable between a dealer car and a customers crusty pos, and then the "you gotta be friggin kidding me" complaint. Getting a little ot but the windshield I was refering to was rediculous. Nothing could be captured with a camera, the salesperson nor myself or the other tinter ever really saw what the customer was complaining about yet we redid it anyway. He insisted there was a dirt ball as he said in the lower corner...near the vin tag. Yet, from every angle we just couldnt see anything worth replacing. There was a spec about the size of a pinhead...the pointed end that we could see if you got within inches of the glass bent over the hood looking slightly up. Sure, there were other anomolies in certain spots but they never said a word about those. It's funny how a customer will focus on something thats irrelivent yet pass over the obvious. not saying that is the case here. It truly sounds as if there is an issue that needs attention.

Now the windshield on my personal car, I'm still trying to find something in it. I hate showing customers my window thinking they will expect theirs to be THAT clean. It just aint gonna happen I just got really lucky that day. Seriously the cleanest windshield I have EVER tinted. Oddly, I just slapped it in and didnt take any extra steps. Just lucky. My doors are also (nearly) flawless. Back glass however, I hate looking at it and will redo it one of these days. To anyone else it looks fantastic but to my ocd eye, it looks like poopoo. Some minor dirt rolled down from the rotted 20yr old headliner that I am not pleased with. Can you see it from more than 2 feet? Nope. but I know its there and it bothers me heh.

Just wall job the car, the Cust may not see the supposed flaw when they pick it up.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest schnappi

Really appreciate the suggestions that I recieved here. Was pleasently suprised.

Wanted to give an update:

The noticeable bubbling on the portal window (that caused this thread in the first place) disappeared completely between 30-60 days. However the other portal, although lacking bubbling, does have "contamination" as you guys have called it. It isn't bad enough to bring it back. It bothers me as a perfectionist, and it is noticeable if you look. But I will let it go for the reason below.

Since moving to this part of the country I had a new vechicle. Went with 15% because wasn't sure how law enforcement acted in new location. Will eventually be getting it redone to 5% (by someone else) therebye eliminating the contamination.

Have come to the conclusion that the shop I have referenced in this thread did a decent job, but I do not believe they would re-tint minor contamination, and I do not beleive that they tinted with an extremely strong attention to detail. Bottom line they did a good job, but not an excellant job.

Thank you all again.

When you pay for a tint installation, you are (mostly) paying for the install quality itself. Not so much the material. Any reputable tint establishment will redo a door or portal without question if you are not 100% satisfied. I know we sure do. Heck we have had to re-do a couple of air80 windshields due to a single eansie teansie spec down in a corner. Sounded rediculous and to tinting standards it was, but we re-tinted it anyway.

Either I am not a "reputable" business or I just understand the limitations of aftermarket tinting and refuse to give 100% satisfaction. There is no way I am redoing a window for some minor error. People are crazy. I honestly only have about 1 a year that complain about anything though so it is not a big worry....

This is exactly how tinters in Illinois roll...hence why I expect to be given a hard time.

I am a tinter in illinois and so far nobody has came back so there for I am assuming everything is good. We do not all roll shady. sometimes customers do not understand the process and are far from educated. There will be SOME to ALMOST NONE contamanition all pending areas.  please read imperfections. It happens. but when it comes down to a few specks like 3 is max for me per rear 1/4. This is why I keep scrap material that is paid for, just in case.

Window Film: Care and Cleaning

Drying time:

Your new window film will take about 3 to 5 days to fully dry, sometimes a lot longer depending on film brand, type, and weather conditions. Until this time your tinted windows may appear hazy or lumpy, and it may seem to have water bubbles. Do not roll your tinted windows down until dry! 

Cleaning

Window film may be cleaned with a soft clean cloth and alcohol based cleaner or plain water. Ammonia products should not be used. 

Black dotted edges

Most cars have a black ceramic 'frit' edge on the rear window. Sometimes this ceramic edge is straight and flat, sometimes it will have a dotted edge. These black ceramic dots are quite thick on most cars and prevent the window film from sticking to the area between the dots. This results in a whitish looking strip trimming the glass. Typically this isn't very noticeable, however some cars have a wide band of dots trimming the top of the rear window. This area is so wide that the whitish looking area created is more pronounced. Unfortunately, the effect is unavoidable. 

Seat Belt Chips

Caution should be used when releasing seat belts. Small chips can be made in the window film due to the seat belt hitting the glass as it is released, THIS IS NOT COVERED BY WARRANTY. 

Imperfections

Though we strive for perfection in our installations, due to the nature of the product, some degree of dust contamination and or minor imperfections are present in every window film application, also pre-existing flaws or scratches and metal deposits on the glass are often much more noticeable after the windows are tinted. 

Small silvery looking spots or 'metal rubs' on some windows are usually found in station wagons or other utility vehicles, and are caused by a metallic object (such as a baby stroller handle) rubbing against the inner surface of the glass during travel. This rubbing deposits metal onto the glass creating a silver or grey stain. Usually these these metal rubs aren't very noticeable and often aren't noticed until the windows become tinted.

Night Time Defogger Distortion

At night you may notice that the light from headlights will reflect off of the defogger lines. This is caused by the film having to bend slightly around the raised defogger line, it varies from car to car, and there is nothing that can be done about it.

I find that I am my own worst enemy when it comes to judging my work. I have had people not complain at all and didn't notice things, but I saw it and made them bring it back another day. However, sometimes the 2nd time gets more contamination and they you really have to re do it :lol

Like most other tinters said, You are paying for the install, not the material. Any person who takes pride in their work and reputation will take care of any imperfections.

Archived