IG'S over 1/2"

SCtinter

I ve had more and more jobs come up where the windows are over 1/2" and my company said they will not warranty anything thicker than 1/2". I KNOW there has to be someone that will warranty windows that thick, I know some of you would put anything on them and say don't worry about it but I don't feel like having to pay for thousands of dollars of windows a year down the road because I put the wrong film on. Any info would be great Thanks.

I ve had more and more jobs come up where the windows are over 1/2" and my company said they will not warranty anything thicker than 1/2". I KNOW there has to be someone that will warranty windows that thick, I know some of you would put anything on them and say don't worry about it but I don't feel like having to pay for thousands of dollars of windows a year down the road because I put the wrong film on. Any info would be great Thanks.

Hi SC,

The thing about 1/2" glass or greater is that you now have a heating and cooling differential across the thickness of the glass. So unlike thinner glass (<1/2") where it is just the surface temps that cause edge stress, now you are dealing with glass that is so thick that there can be a big enough differet in temperature from the inside surface to the outside that it will likely crack. I've seen it happen to the tune of $6-9k per pane...

Most MFG's if not all that I know of do not want that type of liability. You can call it in on a case by case but don't get your hopes up. I know of a handful of >1/2" that was covered. :twocents

1" IG is very common. There are many different films that can be applied. Like has been said here already, find out what kind of glass it is and then refer to your F2G chart or supplier for guidance. We do 1"IG everyday

Archived