Gritty area on 2013 police interceptor model

I was doing a 2013 police interceptor at a dealer the other day and did the rear window like normal but when I cleaned the glass after the film, I noticed a bunch of dirt under the film. Initially pissed off because I thought I was careless in cleaning it, I ripped the film down and re shrunk a new one.

This time, before installing I cleaned extra good and then I rubbed my hand over it, only to feel this gritty feeling in one area of the glass again. I used a white scrub pad and went to town on it but still couldnt get it off. I showed the manager and he agreed there was something obviously on the glass but was not replacing the window. I wrote it up and tinted it anyway per his request.

MY question is, if anyone has a solution for something like that. There is a X cross bracing that is welded into the bodies of the police models for handling and crush factor, that is different than the standard taurus I was told from the dealer and it may be some kind of welding slag. Obviously cant scrape with blade and white pad didnt work.

Cars done and gone now but I will have a few of these to do soon and wanted to see if there may be a solution out there.

I've done a few bodyshop cars with slag on the glass. If it is indeed slag, there's nothing you can do. Even if you get the bumps off there will still be marks in the glass. It almost melts itself into the glass on a microscopic level. No way to clean it.

Get it all the time, mainly on crusty old work trucks/ tradie vehicles.

It can be either weld slag or metal particles from a grinder which hit the glass hot and burn their way in.

Only thing to do is to carefully scrape each spot to dislodge particle leaving the 'hole' in the glass ,but it will be smoother once the film goes on :thumb

Just be very careful with the scraper and be prepared to change blades, those particles hack up the blade making it easy to scratch the glass.

Get it all the time, mainly on crusty old work trucks/ tradie vehicles.

It can be either weld slag or metal particles from a grinder which hit the glass hot and burn their way in.

Only thing to do is to carefully scrape each spot to dislodge particle leaving the 'hole' in the glass ,but it will be smoother once the film goes on :thumb

Just be very careful with the scraper and be prepared to change blades, those particles hack up the blade making it easy to scratch the glass.

This. Grinding sparks!!!

Would be a good idea for the dealer to notify ford of this, as it

is an issue in the assembly process of the car.

And you get an individual that is not happy with the tint job, and to be told

That it is just a factory defect in the glass and to live with it.

That probably will not go over well with customers:......

Archived