Just starting out

Guest TintStall

My story is simular to porches. except i did work at a shop few a very little time and was not paid for the work i did and the dude was an ahole. He didnt teach me anything and ive always been intrested in tinting so i bought some cheap rolls and did my truck and my parents cars over and over again till it was done right and watched many youtube videos. Then i had a friend come over and watched me do the tint and he liked it on my parents cars. Of corse then he wanted me to tint his car and i did. then his parents cars. and no i didnt get much for the jobs but i did very clean jobs but took me hours to do. other friends wanted jobs then thier friends etc etc. then random people started to call me. that they seen my work. i havnt been doing it for years but i do have a pretty good reputation now. i might not be a full pro like many of the guys here but do aventually would like to get my own shop. the only help iv had was just this forum and i didnt get help from anyone in person. So i say go for it.

When starting out with or without my training my advice is to just kiss the pretty frogs until you get used to kissing frogs then try kissing the ugly frogs. I have had tinters with 8-9 years under their belt seek me out for training tell me they learned more the first day than they thought they would learn in the complete course.
Frustration is the biggest killer of ambition out there so continue to learn ... I learn each time I use my knife or heat gun :twocents
If there is ever anything I can do for you just let me know. I have a training center not far from you in STL
Welcome to the board, lots of great people here... Remember it's just the Internet :beer
Cheers
Stan

Guest drew breeze

Hi my story,

I wanted to open up a business and did not know what to open I'm a salesman of trade that's all I've done all my life. I built an online business very successful but got bored at home I don't even remember what made me choose tint business but did research on it 3 months later found a location put a add on CL for a pro tinter got calls hired 1 guy that I thought new what he was talking about bought a plotter steamers tools made the location look exclusive clean big place 3300 sq ft I never tinted a car in my life but had the funds and the business knowledge in marketing. signage is very important first pro tinters of course advertised like crazy sign flippers flyer givers name the ad I did it and paid everybody that wanted me to advertise on there coupon book I pay the tinters good treat them nice buy them lunch everyday now we average 7 to 12 cars between 2 tinters I love this business even if I never tinted a car treat customers nice always with a smile and make them feel comfortable with your shop I have a nice waiting area with a 60" TV free coffee free water free soda free wifi comfortable sofas a laptop if they want to use but I say 75% of the customers want to see how it's done they see the plotter going one guy shrinking film the other prepping glass and it's hard for me to tell them your not allowed in the working area so I invite them in all the time and explain to them how it's done I start with the software I pay for every month and explain to them how expensive it is because you can't buy it outright because how cars change so often then when a pattern is cut they say wow that looks easy and that's when I explain to them about how tinting is an art it's not about just laying the film there you need to mold it first after of course cleaning your windows very well and totally let them know that my tinters are experts at what they do and not only tell them but prove it to them when his car is done and hear him say wow it looks so classy now and I walk him around the vehicle to show him the work then take a picture of his car and tell him the reason why I'm taking this picture is because the nicest car we choose we will give that customer an extra 20% off on a referral (: they like to be treated nice wouldn't you? Oh and another thing I treat everybody the same black white Asian Indian dirty looking with a suite ETC.in a business you need a tour guide sort of speak. one tinter knows how to wrap cars with carbon fiber vinyl very skilled so I've been promoting it and have done some already in business you need to know how to run the show and love what you do so yes I recommend you not to tint if you don't have too your only saving 500.00 a week when you can be bringing 1000.00 in and let the pros work.

Guest LockedDown

Wow, you've discovered Tint World's philosophy...

I'm just glad to see the period at the end of your ramble.

:lol , was thinking the same thing!

Guest JACK THE TINTER

Tint stall go for it I'm with you all the way.

My advise as a professional sales person is to have a humble attitude and be nice to customers even if you don't meen it. In my shop I have a double door fridge stuffed with drinks snacks etc

Clean waiting room with free wifi 60" TV make them feel special offer a soda if he or she is with a kid offer a cookie etc I swear I can't tint to save my life but I can bring the customers in I hired 2 pro tinters treat them good keep them happy.

I advertise on every coupon magazine I have a nice quality sign and custom shirts and made 20.000 postcards that I leave everywhere I go I have a sign swinger girl preferable and give 20.00 to every customer that refers a client and that includes my tinters also if they have a family members car to tint it's free! I will guarentee from them I will get 10 referrals but don't let nothing and anyone get you down it will happen naturally trust me the more you worry about the next customer walking into your shop the more it won't happen sell your kindness and you yourself will make it happen!

Archived