DGI / ComputerCut 40" plotter - question on cable hookup to comput

Ridler

I just bought a used plotter from a guy that got out of tinting. I have all the manuals and cables, but the one cable that connects to the computer has an end that my laptop doesn't. So my question is, can I buy an adapter that converts that end to USB? Or, do I have to get a different cable to make it work with my laptop?

I'm working toward getting set up with one of the software programs out there but would like to see if I can do a trial with them first before I make a decision. Any help would be appreciated.

I went through the same thing when I got my DGI used also. The cable from the plotter is called a comm port. I just got a older laptop and had it gone through from a computer guy. Contact Accugraphics. They deal with the DGI stuff and can help you with any info on them. They are a new sponsor here. I think it's in the vehicle wrap section. Also when you get set up with the software it will be under NewStar as the driver. All the software company's I have used have it in the data base.

You need a serial cable to usb adapter for it. Just don't get the cheapest one you can find. You can get them just about anywhere local these days.

So I got the cable and installed the driver. I'm using the Tint Tek system and when they were helping me set it up we couldn't get the computer and the plotter to talk. We doudble checked the COM Port's and still nothing. Tint Tek thought it might be the cable driver but I've looked arond and can't see to find anything about the correct driver. The error message that I get on the plotter display is HPGL Error #1. I've been told it's a language thing but this plotter stuff is new to me.

Can anyone provide some assistance or give me some suggestions?

Is it the DGI Omega 100? Check and make sure you are set to the NewStar Omega as your plotter default. Then set it to the com1 port setting. I got my new lap top the other day and a adapter cable to USB also. I got the same error code with it set to the USB port. I switched it to com1 and it works great.

Is it the DGI Omega 100? Check and make sure you are set to the NewStar Omega as your plotter default. Then set it to the com1 port setting. I got my new lap top the other day and a adapter cable to USB also. I got the same error code with it set to the USB port. I switched it to com1 and it works great.

It is the DGI omega 100. When you say to set to the NewStar Omega as the default plotter, when tinttek set me up they set it up as the DGI-100. I guess your saying to change that to the NewStar and change the port to Com1. I'm not sure I can change to Com 1 but I'll give it a try. I think it's being used right now that's why we couldn't utilize it. We ended up using the Com5 port. I'll give it a try. Thanks.

Guest kccartint

Use the setting for your specific plotter. In the cut screen you can get to your plotter settings. Verify com port and make sure it matches the same one in your hardware screen on the computer. If you have used another program that uses ms doc printer then you need to make sure to change that port setting if its sharing the same connection. It will error out otherwise. Common issue when using or trying or using other programs like DAP. It doesn't matter what com port is used as long as the setting in the computer hardware side is set properly and matches. If all things are correct it may not like your adaptor. Some just don't work for this application.

It is the DGI omega 100. When you say to set to the NewStar Omega as the default plotter, when tinttek set me up they set it up as the DGI-100. I guess your saying to change that to the NewStar and change the port to Com1. I'm not sure I can change to Com 1 but I'll give it a try. I think it's being used right now that's why we couldn't utilize it. We ended up using the Com5 port. I'll give it a try. Thanks.

When I was trying to set up my DGI I had a hell of a time getting any info on it. I found out the parent company that makes them is Newstar. The only way mine would cut is if it was set to Newstar Omega. You need to call Ron at Accugraphics. 800-268-3672 This guy knows all with DGI. He is very friendly and helped me a lot. Plus they are a sponser on Tintdude now.

When I was trying to set up my DGI I had a hell of a time getting any info on it. I found out the parent company that makes them is Newstar. The only way mine would cut is if it was set to Newstar Omega. You need to call Ron at Accugraphics. 800-268-3672 This guy knows all with DGI. He is very friendly and helped me a lot. Plus they are a sponser on Tintdude now.

Use the setting for your specific plotter. In the cut screen you can get to your plotter settings. Verify com port and make sure it matches the same one in your hardware screen on the computer. If you have used another program that uses ms doc printer then you need to make sure to change that port setting if its sharing the same connection. It will error out otherwise. Common issue when using or trying or using other programs like DAP. It doesn't matter what com port is used as long as the setting in the computer hardware side is set properly and matches. If all things are correct it may not like your adaptor. Some just don't work for this application.

Thanks for both of the responses. I'm going to work on it for awhile to see if I can get it to work. I did go buy another cable just to see if the one I have just isn't recognized by the plotter. I'll let you know how I make out.

Archived