Holden VL Help!

supafit

Hey Guys,

How would you tint a Holden Commoredore VL rear window as there are no matrix around the sides, it fits exactly with the glass, which would be a pain to shrink as well as installing.

Any tips would be appricated.

Thanks

Easy Supa,

Just allow excess film at the bottom of around 40mm. Then cut the sides and the top to the rubber edge, fix the film in the centre and then shape the top area. Once heat shaped, lift and slide the film up, and fix it around 10 mm above the top rubber. (Note: the sides will now be larger than the side rubbers giving you some excess to trim) Now cut the bottom and the sides to the rubber and shape. Once the bottom is shaped, Slide the film down and trim to size. Be aware of a small demister terminal that sticks out at each side of the window in the middle. It may pay to remove an additional 1-2 mm of film from the bottom of the window to allow for an easier install.

As Gtint said, that may be the easiest window.

For the front windows, remove the internal side mirror plate, and take out 3 phillips head screws, this will allow you to take the side mirror off and you can easily cut out your side door film. Be sure to keep the template/liner.

Cut the rear door quarters 1 at a time, as they are always different, and take your time with the rest. Door trims need removal... And the rear wind up will show a gap in the film when you wind it down if you don't fit it right to the edge that is closest to the front of the car. Don't try and cheat or it will look like crap.

Good luck Supa.

Gtint I am in Thomastown and you?

Thanks GTS, how do you remember all the cars =] You guys were right, the rear screen was easier than I anticipated. However the back door and the quarter especcially were such a pain.

Back door needed extra film on each side to compensate for the window moving to one side.

I think I spent 5 hours all up on it, all turned out well I guess.

Thanks again for all your help, I cant thank everyone on this forum enough. GTS I'll definately order your film to try. You are a good man =]

All good Supa!

You don't need to use our films..

I just worry that you spent 5 hours tinting a car, when the film you are using will likely only last a couple of years. Gtint has been around long enough to try all of the films. And he can offer you an unbias opinion.

What do you suggest Gtint for a good entry level film?

I did suggest our Carbonite. Dual ply colour stable, very user friendly, and well priced. And sales go back to support small independents.

Ha, Ha, that sounds like a bias opinion, best ask other guys what they think.... Although, I also can use whatever I want.

My thoughts...

MEP Films: (Llumar) Crooks-M1 (IMO) Good film-Shady deals and back stabbing are the norm

SolarGard: Good film - Good support

SunTek: Average/Good film-Well priced-No support

Hanita Pacific: Auto film is ASWF- Flat Glass is good film- Poorly priced- Average/good support

Oceania: Auto film (I will never use it again) Flat glass film is good-Support Average- Price Average/good

GTS Films: Auto films Good- Flat Glass Average/good- Well priced-Good support

ProTinting Film: (Korean) film is poor at best - Support?-Price.. Overpriced if it was free.

Cheers.

That's a good question...

Most a the support falls under Flat Glass. They will offer technical advice on what films can be installed where, etc...

Also, when you have an issue with your product, that is when true colours show.

Sometimes, if you are a loyal customer, they will try and send work your way. But that is rare for most.

That's why we developed the Independent Tinting Network, come August this year, will be sending out around $1 million of local enquiries each month to small independent tinters. All funded by sales via Glass Tinting Supplies. It has been a very long road to get this up, but it is up. And it will be the worlds biggest Network of window tinting businesses. And all of the tinters will be free to choose whatever film best suites them. At the price they choose. The hope is that we will have some products that suite some independents, and we can then continue to grow through those sales. But I believe that we have a pretty good understanding of what is required for the Australian market, and we are actually developing our own films via a number of manufacturers in the US, built to our specs. In the same way 3M does it.

Sounds like an ad again.

I'm out.. You have my number if you need anything.

Archived