lexus and peanuts

micro-edge

I did an 04 model today forgot which one but its the one with the real bad defrosters.

My prep for this was I sprayed with ammonia and scrubbed the back glass 3 times with steel wool and a scrubbie and run a chizel down all the defrosters. Shrunk the film as smooth and perfect as you could ask for and still got at least 20 big puckers. Very time consuming trying to lay them all down gotta be some way to make it better :dunno I was tempted to scrape the damn glass :lol. Any other tricks to make these go smoother?

When shrinking I stretch along the defrosters pulling the film as tight to the sides following the lines. When I install I use a bluemax and squeege VERY hard along the defrosters. Stretch the film with the grain of them. Ususally helps. Same with old mercedez and Nissans (altima mainly).

We sell 3 different brands of film and one brand is real bat at popping up on the SC430's. Of the other 2 brands

one does a little the other almost not at all. What I have found is that if I clean with alcohol or ammonia products it

makes matters worse. I clean SC430's with soapy water only and scrub it, and have real good luck. Single ply film will pop up real bad on them almost every time with no fix.

The 2001 IS300 is definitely part of this list. I stripped and retinted one yesterday and even after seeing the grit on the lines showing on the old tint, I sanded it anyway, and there were still quite a few puckers. A couple even blistered so big it would split into smaller ones running all directions. It was mostly on the passenger aide of the glass, towards the bottom. Im hoping i just didnt sand as hard down there, ill give it a little extra on the next one. There is also a very thick radio antenna running up and down at the top which was rough, but the horizontal one was no problem. Heat and slowly worked them out and then let it sit in the sun for 4 hrs so I could push down all the lines once more. Wiki says the 1st gen is up to 2005 and 2006 and newer is the 2nd gen, which has never been any issue. Hope this helps somebody know which ones to be ready for.

Any early 2000 lexus gs's i scrape them damn defrosters now, sh*t on it. It only freezes a few times a year here, and it looks way better anyway..i remember that damn car this post spawned from, it had like 20 5 inch peanuts, i was pissed :lol

Archived