1948 Chevy cab corners....

I have been dealing with cab corners on a 1948 Chevy truck. The bottom of the passener side one is dove tailed or something. The film will lay down on the rest of the inside without shrink, but the bottom is actually short. I can get it to lay down with some pressing and LOTS of heat on the glass. The driver side one is pretty normal for shrinking but on the sides of the glass on the inside....

I got them done when they were out of the truck first but they both popped off the "middle" of the glass bad a day or more later....luckily this is a friends truck so I am getting to play. At this point it is a matter of "I am going to kick this thing yet"! I got some Global QDP to try them with as I use the HP and used it on the other windows. Thought it might be a bit more "stretchy" or something. It didn't seem much better on the passenger side bottom.....

I got it down again on both glasses and we are waiting to see if it sticks for good this time. The glass on the corners is original tempered glass and looks really good for that old of glass....

oh, I found that QDP shrinks very very fast compared to HP, or it seemed to on this project.....

Thanks to Richard at Solar Control St Louis for sending me some "sample" QDP as well as a NR black to try on this project.....

they were out the first round...now they are in. I am thinking I am going to use glass primer and do a small black edge around them as that is where the trouble is happening..... that is IF they stick this time.... it is brand new rubber and the truck is a frame up rebuild

yes TW that is the truck....on this one the driver side has some shrinking on the sides of the glass while the passenger side lays down except about an inch from the bottom and then it has to be stretched on. I tried making some shrink up a couple inches on it thinking it would make it fit but it didn't.

I had them done with Global HP looking good but a day or so later the film just lifted off the glass. I have now done them with Global QDP and waiting to see how it holds.

It is almost like something is keeping the film from bonding on the bottom edge of the passenger side one.

I did a silmilar one a few years ago that had aftermarket glass. It was laminated and thus I coudn't heat it like I have this one...not sure how it layed down....but it did and stayed.

Like I said on the inside of the glass on the passenger side it doesn't even need any shrink...just a bit of stretch on the bottom. Some sort of dove tail out curve. Drivers side it is shrink from the sides though....totally different glass shapes on this one.

Archived