Wearing safety gloves while installing 4mil

Has anyone ever had a demand for installers to wear rubberize or kevlar anti cut gloves while installing film?

We are currently on a navy base job installing 4mil Silver 20 and have been requested to provide all installers with cut resistant gloves for the duration of the job. We have 20,000 more SQFT to do, we have already done 12,000 before the safety person came on site to inspect us.

from an email from safety people....

"Our regional safety manager walked the site this past Monday and would like you to use gloves when installing window film."

http://www.northernsafety.com/safety/personal-safety/hand-protection/cut-resistant-gloves/ansi-level-2-cut-protection

any help or previous cases that have any info we can give the safe chick would be greatly appriciated!

thanks

Jim

We did work at a nuclear power plant. They required steel toe boots, hard hats, safety glasses and cut resistant gloves. And a 1.5 hour safety course before we started... Hanging film with gloves is like picking your nose while wearing mittens. It just does not work. The safety officer ended up excluding the gloves by filing a report saying we were a specialty contractor and we required special dextarity with our hands, that gloves would inhibit.

We did work at a nuclear power plant. They required steel toe boots, hard hats, safety glasses and cut resistant gloves. And a 1.5 hour safety course before we started... Hanging film with gloves is like picking your nose while wearing mittens. It just does not work. The safety officer ended up excluding the gloves by filing a report saying we were a specialty contractor and we required special dextarity with our hands, that gloves would inhibit.

This is about the same get up we had to wear when I was in Canada.

Has anyone ever had a demand for installers to wear rubberize or kevlar anti cut gloves while installing film?

We are currently on a navy base job installing 4mil Silver 20 and have been requested to provide all installers with cut resistant gloves for the duration of the job. We have 20,000 more SQFT to do, we have already done 12,000 before the safety person came on site to inspect us.

"Our regional safety manager walked the site this past Monday and would like you to use gloves when installing window film."

any help or previous cases that have any info we can give the safe chick would be greatly appriciated!

thanks

Jim

Haven't found a cut resistant glove that works with film and cut resistent gloves are also no defense against getting poked by a knife.

In my world of tint I want to suggest that all men wear cups; and not the ones you drink from. You catch my drift yet? All film boxes are carried pretty much waste high, all carts with film placed on them are about waste high, catchin my drift now? That's how absurd wearing cut resistant gloves are when installing film. Love to see the test fit for cup size go down in a corporate environment and don't even think of bringing along any smalls; no man's gonna step and claim a small!

any chance you have a copy of that report :)

any chance you have a copy of that report :)

I don't, sorry. This was last summer and the guy who wrote it up, I assume turned it into whoever or wherever he had to in order to cover their azz in the event someone got cut.

http://www.northerns...-cut-protection

thanks

Jim

We did a job that required a safety class provided by them and they gave us the gloves they wanted us too use when working on their site, seeing that they are requiring you too wear them they should know what type you need too use, if not then ask them what tests they would need too pass too be acceptable and find a glove you feel would be the easiest to work in. the ones we were required too use were not too bad too tint with and it made me think of a different way to handle the safety film that worked out great wearing the gloves, I now use that way without gloves when installing AG film and at times SS film.

Archived