Formula One Pinnacle vs. Llumar CTX

Guest SanDiegoTeslaClub

Guest SanDiegoTeslaClub

As founder of the San Diego Tesla Club, I have taken the lead in accessorizing our new Tesla Ss.

Many of us have now wrapped our Teslas with Xpel ppf and the next step to preserving our cars is window tinting.

We have about 18 members who are interested. It is my job to make a recommendation and I've narrowed my choices to two:

1. Formula One Pinnacle from a shop 20 miles from most members.

2. Llumar CTX from a mobile installer, who will do 4 cars at one location per day.

Both have offered us very good prices.

Is one better for our Teslas? Which would you recommend and why?

Thank you.

P.S. I do believe 3M Crystalline is better than either of these, but it's price point is more than most members want to pay.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well considering Formula 1 and CTX are both manufactured by CP Films/ Solutia/ Eastman and our reps all tell us the Formula 1 is a step above the CTX, I would go with it. However, I have not personally used their formula1 but they have been pressing it on us pretty hard lately. I have installed a ton of CTX and love the product. Currently though, the CTX will not be available until late june early july as they are making some changes to it. This coming straight from our Solutia rep. So unless your installer has plenty on hand this is something to keep in mind and I encourage your installer to call and verify. We are getting a shipment of formula 1 to replace the CTX line for the time being.

Formula One has a better warranty, and the performance is better as well . Also , the CTX is a great product, but it has more of a bluish hue to it , in comparison with the Pinnacle having more of a charcoal look . We sell both , and in my opinion the Pinnacle is a better product. I would go with the Pinnacle .

Guest SanDiegoTeslaClub

Why is 3m Crystalline better? What sold you on that statement? Solutia not 3m is the worlds largest window film "manufacturer"

All my research leads me to believe 3M Crystalline is the best. Largest doesn't always mean best.

But Crystalline is twice as expensive as Pinnacle in my neck of the woods.

They wont give details but today we had a bigwig in from their new owner of solutia (eastman) so I tried to get "some" answers, From what I gather they are going through some QC changes to make the plant run more efficient. We also brought up some discussion about line tension problems mainly with the CTX line (also with ATR) to help cure the curling issues that seem to come and go. Basically they are revamping a few things to speed up the process while maintaining better quality control and consistency in the way the film is made.

Im personally not a fan of 3M. I've used almost the whole line, Crystalline included. Didn't care for the look of it or the amount of heat I had to use to get it to install properly. Llumar on the other hand takes a lot less heat to shape and looks way nicer once installed. I may be wrong, but to me a film that lays easier and requires less heat and stress should last longer. Both have common IR blocking numbers, not sure about TSER's but that's the true number that matters. Again just my opinion. If I had to chose between the three, my vote would be for the F1. I used to install it when it first came out. Before ceramic this and that and the lines were Comfort, Premiere and....heh can't remember the upper lines name. The upper line was a bear to shrink, but I did manage to get a 944 in one piece. That was a good day.

Archived